Minimizing Cost Word Problem

In summary: The least expensive way to install the cable would be to put it 92.4m below water and 153.8m along the shoreline.
abizan

Homework Statement

The owners of a small island want to bring in electricity from the mainland. The island is 80m from a straight shoreline at the closest point. The nearest electrical connection is 200m along the shore from that point. It costs twice as much to install cable across water than across land. What is the least expensive way to install the cable?

Homework Equations

C(x)= 2√(80^2+x^2) + (200-x)
C'(x)= (2x-1)/√(80^2+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram of the scenario which created a right angle triangle. The height of it was 80 which I got from the info given and I said the base was "x" (the remaining length was 200-x since the entire point from the shoreline to the electrical connection was 200m). And then using the pythagorean theorem, I figured that the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle was √(80^2+x^2). And then, since it costs twice as much to install cable across water than across land, I knew that the first part of my cost equation was 2 x √(80^2+x^2) and then I just added (200-x) since that was what was left remaining to get to the electrical connection. I then found the derivative and got my zeros, making x=0.5 but that's apparently the wrong answer. The correct answer was 92.4m of cable below water and 153.8m along the shoreline.

Physics news on Phys.org
abizan said:

Homework Statement

The owners of a small island want to bring in electricity from the mainland. The island is 80m from a straight shoreline at the closest point. The nearest electrical connection is 200m along the shore from that point. It costs twice as much to install cable across water than across land. What is the least expensive way to install the cable?

Homework Equations

C(x)= 2√(80^2+x^2) + (200-x)
C'(x)= (2x-1)/√(80^2+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram of the scenario which created a right angle triangle. The height of it was 80 which I got from the info given and I said the base was "x" (the remaining length was 200-x since the entire point from the shoreline to the electrical connection was 200m). And then using the pythagorean theorem, I figured that the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle was √(80^2+x^2). And then, since it costs twice as much to install cable across water than across land, I knew that the first part of my cost equation was 2 x √(80^2+x^2) and then I just added (200-x) since that was what was left remaining to get to the electrical connection. I then found the derivative and got my zeros, making x=0.5 but that's apparently the wrong answer. The correct answer was 92.4m of cable below water and 153.8m along the shoreline.

[tex] \frac{2x}{\sqrt{80^2+x^2}} -1 \neq \frac{2x-1}{\sqrt{80^2+x^2}} [/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
[tex] \frac{2x}{\sqrt{80^2+x^2}} -1 \neq \frac{2x-1}{\sqrt{80^2+x^2}} [/tex]
Ahh thank you, now it makes sense!

1. What is a "Minimizing Cost Word Problem"?

A "Minimizing Cost Word Problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum cost or minimum value for a given situation. It typically involves determining the most cost-effective way to solve a problem or make a decision.

2. What are the key steps to solving a "Minimizing Cost Word Problem"?

The key steps to solving a "Minimizing Cost Word Problem" include identifying the variables and constraints, creating an equation or model to represent the problem, finding the derivative of the equation, setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the variable, and checking the solution to ensure it is the minimum cost or value.

3. How do you know when you have found the minimum cost or value in a "Minimizing Cost Word Problem"?

In a "Minimizing Cost Word Problem", the minimum cost or value is found when the derivative of the equation is equal to zero. This indicates that the slope of the graph is flat and the cost or value is not changing, making it the minimum.

4. What are some real-world applications of "Minimizing Cost Word Problems"?

"Minimizing Cost Word Problems" are commonly used in business and economics to determine the most cost-efficient way to produce goods or services, make financial decisions, and optimize resources. They can also be applied in engineering, transportation, and other industries to minimize costs and improve efficiency.

5. What are some strategies for solving "Minimizing Cost Word Problems"?

Some strategies for solving "Minimizing Cost Word Problems" include setting up equations or models to represent the problem, using calculus to find the derivative and solve for the minimum, and checking the solution by graphing or plugging in values. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts can also make it easier to solve.