Why should i=e for minimum deviation in a triangular prism?

In summary, @mfb looked into solving the problem of minimum deviation in a triangular prism and found that the angles of incidence and emergence should be equal.
kay
When I was solving questions on Ray optics I encountered a question wherein I had to prove that when a ray of light undergoes minimum deviation through a triangular prism then both the angles of refraction that is the first one at the incident point and the second one at the emergent point should be equal.

Since I was not able to prove this, I looked into the solution for this problem and it was written that for minimum deviation to take place in a triangular prism the angles of incidence that is the angle which the incident ray makes with the normal at that point and the angle of emergence that is the angle which the emergence ray makes with the normal at the point of emergence should be equal. I could not access why this would happen

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to express the deviation as function of i, and then find the minimum with standard analysis.
There is also a symmetry argument: i and e are exchangeable, the change in angle as function of i has to be symmetric around the point of i=e. As the angle is continuous, it will have a minimum or maximum there, and it is not hard to prove it is not a maximum.

kay said:
Since I was not able to prove this, I looked into the solution for this problem and it was written that for minimum deviation to take place in a triangular prism the angles of incidence that is the angle which the incident ray makes with the normal at that point and the angle of emergence that is the angle which the emergence ray makes with the normal at the point of emergence should be equal. I could not access why this would happen
A bit elucidating what @mfb said, the deviation angle is given by ##\delta## is given by
$$
\delta = \theta_{i1}+\arcsin \left((\sin \alpha) \sqrt{n^2-\sin^2\theta_{i1}} - \cos\alpha \sin\theta_{i1}\right) - \alpha
$$
where ##\theta_{i1}## is the incident angle on the first prism side and ##\alpha## is the prism's apex angle. Try to differentiate the above equation with respect to ##\theta_{i1}## and find the extrema from it. You can try if you want but it is obviously going to involve a train of chain rules.

1. Why is it important to have minimum deviation in a triangular prism?

Having minimum deviation in a triangular prism is important because it allows for accurate measurement and analysis of light. When light passes through a prism, it is split into its component colors due to refraction. By minimizing the deviation, the colors can be accurately measured and studied for a variety of scientific purposes.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the minimum deviation in a triangular prism?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters the prism, directly affects the minimum deviation. If the angle of incidence is too large, the deviation will also be large, making it difficult to accurately measure the light. By adjusting the angle of incidence to the minimum deviation point, the light will pass through the prism with minimal deviation.

3. Can the material of the prism affect the minimum deviation?

Yes, the material of the prism can affect the minimum deviation. Different materials have different refractive indices, which determine how much the light will be bent as it passes through the prism. A material with a higher refractive index will have a smaller minimum deviation, making it more suitable for precise measurements.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of minimum deviation and the angle of emergence?

The angle of minimum deviation and the angle of emergence are equal when the prism is in equilibrium. This means that the light will exit the prism at the same angle at which it entered, resulting in minimal deviation. This angle is often referred to as the critical angle and is an important factor in achieving minimum deviation.

5. How is minimum deviation used in practical applications?

Minimum deviation in a triangular prism is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in spectroscopy, where it is used to analyze the composition of materials based on the wavelengths of light they emit. It is also used in optics to design and calibrate lenses, and in the field of astronomy to study the light emitted from distant objects in space.