Minimum Hamming Distance for Parity Check Matrix

In summary, the solution made in that video is mostly guessing about which columns combination can be equals to zero and I found 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows as well as 2nd, 3rd, 4th rows are equals to zero so the minimum hamming distance is 3.
nao113
Homework Statement
Compute the minimum Hamming distance of
the code whose parity-check matrix is
Relevant Equations
the minimum Hamming distance is the smallest Hamming distance between all possible pairs of strings in that set.
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 13.09.42.png

My answer:
Then, if I am not mistaken, the solution made in that video is mostly guessing about which columns combination can be equals to zero
and I found 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows as well as 2nd, 3rd, 4th rows are equals to zero so the minimum hamming distance is 3 since my answer is mostly trial and error rather than calculating so I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
nao113 said:
Homework Statement: Compute the minimum Hamming distance of
the code whose parity-check matrix is
Relevant Equations: the minimum Hamming distance is the smallest Hamming distance between all possible pairs of strings in that set.

View attachment 325735
My answer:
Then, if I am not mistaken, the solution made in that video is mostly guessing about which columns combination can be equals to zero
What video?
What does "guessing about which columns combination can be equals to zero"
nao113 said:
and I found 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows as well as 2nd, 3rd, 4th rows are equals to zero so the minimum hamming distance is 3 since my answer is mostly trial and error rather than calculating so I am not sure.
How are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows equal to zero? What operation are you doing. Same question for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rows.

That should be the minimum Hamming distance between all valid codewords, all 16 encoded strings.

H (parity check matrix):

1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Convert H to systematic:
xor first three rows to last row, creates identity matrix on right:

1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0
1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1

Transpose H

1 1 0 1
0 1 1 1
1 0 1 1
1 1 1 0
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1

Create generator matrix G from H
(last four columns = first four rows of transposed H):

1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1
0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0

All 16 codewords: encoded values for data = hex 0 to hex f:

00 1e 2b 35 47 59 6c 72 8d 93 a6 b8 ca d4 e1 ff

Minimum Hamming distance between all 120 possible pairs of codewords is 4 bits. This allows a single bit error to be detected and corrected, and also a double bit error to be detected (but not corrected). A single bit error will be equal to a column of systematic H or row of transposed H:

bit:check value (hex)
7:d
6:7
5:b
4:e
3:8
2:4
1:2
0:1

Last edited:

What is the minimum hamming distance for a parity check matrix?

The minimum hamming distance for a parity check matrix is the smallest number of bit positions in which any two valid codewords differ. It is also known as the minimum distance or error-correcting capability of the code. This distance is crucial in determining the error-correcting capability of a code and ensuring reliable transmission of data.

How is the minimum hamming distance calculated for a parity check matrix?

The minimum hamming distance is calculated by finding the number of linearly independent rows in the parity check matrix. This can be done by performing Gaussian elimination on the matrix and counting the number of non-zero rows remaining. The resulting number is the minimum hamming distance.

What is the significance of the minimum hamming distance in error correction?

The minimum hamming distance is directly related to the error-correcting capability of a code. It determines the maximum number of errors that can be detected and corrected by the code. A higher minimum hamming distance means a code can correct more errors, making it more reliable for data transmission.

Can the minimum hamming distance be increased for a parity check matrix?

Yes, the minimum hamming distance can be increased by adding more rows to the parity check matrix. This is known as increasing the redundancy of the code. However, this also increases the number of bits needed to transmit the same amount of data, so there is a trade-off between error-correcting capability and efficiency.

What happens if the minimum hamming distance is not met for a parity check matrix?

If the minimum hamming distance is not met, the code will not be able to detect or correct errors. This can result in corrupted data being transmitted and received, leading to data loss or incorrect information. It is important to ensure that the minimum hamming distance is met when designing a code for reliable data transmission.