Mobile Comms: Number of Cells in Hexagonal Pattern

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Mobile
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for determining the number of hexagonal cells within a certain radius on a grid. It is clarified that the formula refers to the number of cells in a cluster, and that for certain values of i and j, this can result in fractional cells. The conversation also mentions alternative cluster patterns that eliminate these fractional cells.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Why is the number of cells in the radius ## D ## determined by ## N_c = D_R^2 ## where ## D_R = \sqrt{i^2 + j^2 + ij} ##
Relevant Equations
area
Hi,

I was looking at some notes and trying to understand the following statement which refers to the diagram below.
"The number of cells in the radius ## D ## determined by ## N_c = D_R^2 ## where ## D_R = \sqrt{i^2 + j^2 + ij} ##
where ## i## and ##j## are the number of cells along the ## u ## and ## v ## axes respectively.
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 11.28.54 AM.png

From what I understand, B is at (2, 2) in (u, v) coordinates and radius ##D## is ## = \sqrt{2^2 + 2^2 + (2)(2)} \cdot R \sqrt{3} ##. Therefore, the number of cells within the radius ## D ## should be ## 12 ##. I cannot see how this is the case, no matter how I try to encircle cells...

I think I am missing something quite simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the formula Nc = i2 +j2 +ij refers to the number of hexagonal cells in a "cluster", where clusters are distanced by i and j.

[edited for additional clarity]
For i=2, j=2, this results in clusters that share cells, fractionally. Add the fractional cells to the non-shared cells and you will get 12.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Master1022
Thank you very much for your reply @lewando !

lewando said:
I think that the formula Nc = i2 +j2 +ij refers to the number of hexagonal cells in a "cluster", where clusters are distanced by i and j.

[edited for additional clarity]
For i=2, j=2, this results in clusters that share cells, fractionally. Add the fractional cells to the non-shared cells and you will get 12.

I am struggling to picture this on the image... Is there any chance you could edit/add something to the image posted to show what you are saying? I will keep trying to think about it in the meantime.

Perhaps if you study this image you will see what I mean by fractional cells. The black dots are distanced by i=2, j=2. [edited to match your original orientation]
clusters-2-2.png

• Informative
Likes Master1022
FWIW, with a change of grid origin, you can get a different cluster pattern that eliminates the fractional cells:

clusters-2-2(alt).png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Master1022
Thank you very much @lewando for taking the time to produce those pictures! They are extremely helpful!

Likes lewando

1. How are the cells arranged in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications?

The cells in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications are arranged in a way that each cell shares a border with six other cells, forming a hexagon shape. This arrangement allows for efficient coverage and minimizes signal interference.

2. What is the purpose of using a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications?

The purpose of using a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications is to provide maximum coverage and minimize signal interference. This pattern allows for a more efficient use of frequencies and resources, resulting in better network performance.

3. How is the number of cells determined in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications?

The number of cells in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications is determined by the size of the coverage area and the desired signal strength. The larger the coverage area and the stronger the signal, the more cells are needed to provide adequate coverage.

4. What factors affect the number of cells in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications?

The number of cells in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications can be affected by various factors such as terrain, population density, and signal strength requirements. For example, in areas with a high population density, more cells may be needed to provide sufficient coverage.

5. Can the number of cells in a hexagonal pattern change over time in mobile communications?

Yes, the number of cells in a hexagonal pattern in mobile communications can change over time. As technology advances and the demand for mobile services increases, the number of cells may need to be adjusted to accommodate the growing number of users and their needs.