Mobility of 2D material, sigma=N*e*mu with N surface density

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of conductivity in a 2D material and using the formula σ=N⋅e⋅μ to find the mobility, which is normally measured in [cm^2/(V⋅s)]. The speaker mentions using a spectroscopic/imaging technique to measure the Surface Density of N in units of [cm^-2] and asks for a reference on calculating mobility in 2D materials, as it may have different units compared to bulk/3D materials. They also mention taking into account the different units of surface conductivity.
Hyo X
I have measured the conductivity of a 2D material.
I want to use σ=N⋅e⋅μ to find the mobility μ=σ/(N⋅e).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility#Relation_to_conductivity

I have measured N using a spectroscopic/imaging technique to get a Surface Density with units [cm^-2].
Mobility is normally [cm^2/(V⋅s)] but with my N units I get [cm/(V⋅s)].
Does anyone have a good reference for calculating mobility in 2D materials? Do 2D materials have mobility in different units than bulk/3D materials?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surface conductivity has different units, did you take that into account?

1. What is the significance of N surface density in the equation for the mobility of 2D materials?

N surface density refers to the number of charge carriers per unit area in a 2D material. It plays a crucial role in determining the mobility of these materials as it directly affects the density of available charge carriers, which in turn affects their ability to move through the material.

2. How does the mobility of 2D materials differ from that of 3D materials?

The mobility of 2D materials is typically higher than that of 3D materials due to the reduced dimensionality and increased surface-to-volume ratio. This allows for a more efficient transfer of charge carriers and results in a higher mobility value.

3. What is the relationship between the mobility and the electrical conductivity of 2D materials?

The mobility of 2D materials is directly proportional to their electrical conductivity. This means that an increase in mobility will result in an increase in electrical conductivity and vice versa.

4. How does the charge carrier concentration affect the mobility of 2D materials?

The mobility of 2D materials is inversely proportional to the charge carrier concentration. This means that an increase in charge carrier concentration will result in a decrease in mobility and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation sigma=N*e*mu.

5. How does the type of 2D material affect its mobility?

The type of 2D material can greatly affect its mobility. Different 2D materials have varying crystal structures, bandgaps, and charge carrier concentrations, all of which can impact their mobility. Some 2D materials, such as graphene, have very high mobilities due to their unique properties, while others may have lower mobilities due to their structure and composition.