Model electrodes and plates in ANSYS

In summary, it is possible to model an electric setup in ANSYS Workbench using the ANSYS Maxwell module. You will need to create your geometry, define material properties and boundary conditions, and set up the electrodes as voltage sources. It is recommended to reach out to ANSYS technical support for assistance if you are having trouble with the software. Both 2D and 3D analysis can be used, with 3D providing more accurate results.
Geth
Hello,

I am trying to model an electric setup in ANSYS Workbench. I want to model some charged surfaces surrounded by charges. Then these are in an electric field created by two electrodes. I uploaded an image for visual aid.

Problem_picture.png

I have been playing around with the software for a while an am not even sure if this is possible. I have also tried contacting ANSYS developers but nothing happened.

I would prefer a 2D analysis but 3D is fine too. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and image. It is definitely possible to model this type of electric setup in ANSYS Workbench. In fact, ANSYS has a specific module called ANSYS Maxwell that is designed for electromagnetic simulations.

To model this setup, you will need to create your geometry in the DesignModeler or SpaceClaim module and then import it into ANSYS Maxwell. From there, you can define the material properties, boundary conditions, and mesh the geometry. You can also set up the electrodes as voltage sources and specify the electric field strength in the simulation.

If you are having trouble with the software, I would recommend reaching out to ANSYS technical support for assistance. They can provide guidance on how to set up your simulation and troubleshoot any issues you may be having.

In terms of 2D vs 3D analysis, it really depends on your specific needs and the complexity of your setup. 2D simulations may be faster and easier to set up, but 3D simulations can provide more accurate results. I would recommend trying both and comparing the results to see which method is more suitable for your application.

I hope this helps and good luck with your simulation! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is ANSYS and how is it used in modeling electrodes and plates?

ANSYS is a computer-aided engineering (CAE) software that is used to simulate and analyze various physical phenomena in the field of engineering. In the context of modeling electrodes and plates, ANSYS can be used to create a virtual representation of the physical structure, apply various loads and boundary conditions, and predict the behavior of the system.

2. What are model electrodes and plates and why are they important?

Model electrodes and plates are virtual representations of the physical components used in electrical systems, such as batteries and capacitors. They are important because they allow engineers to study and optimize the performance of these systems without the need for expensive and time-consuming physical prototypes.

3. How do you create model electrodes and plates in ANSYS?

To create model electrodes and plates in ANSYS, you first need to define the material properties of the components and then use the appropriate geometry and meshing tools to create a 3D model. Next, you can apply boundary conditions and loads to simulate the behavior of the system. Finally, you can use ANSYS' analysis tools to evaluate the results and make any necessary design modifications.

4. What types of analyses can be performed on model electrodes and plates in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers a wide range of analysis capabilities for modeling electrodes and plates, including static, dynamic, thermal, and electromagnetic analyses. These analyses can be used to study various aspects of the system, such as stress and strain, heat transfer, and electrical behavior.

5. Can ANSYS be used to optimize the design of electrodes and plates?

Yes, ANSYS can be used to optimize the design of electrodes and plates by allowing engineers to iteratively modify the design parameters and evaluate their impact on the performance of the system. This can help to improve the efficiency, reliability, and durability of the components.