Modeling Pressure Change in a Pressurized Chamber

• Thread starter mattie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the conversation is about modeling the rate of change of pressure in a pressurized rigid chamber with normal air. The assumption is that it can be modeled like an adiabatic expansion, but this assumption is not certain. The heat transfer is assumed to be negligible and the equation is correct if the V's are specific volumes. The use of an adiabatic process is justified if the discharge is relatively fast. The conversation also discusses other possibilities for the volume rate of flow and the importance of knowing the change in pressure as a function of outflow of air and total volume. The volume of the chamber itself changes in a prescribed manner, adding another component to the rate of change in pressure. Lastly, the conversation discusses how this
mattie
1591008630764.png

I'm trying to model the rate of change of the pressure in a pressurized rigid chamber with normal air (assumed to be an ideal gas).
It has an air outflow (m^3/s) with ρ1.
What's the change in p between state 1 and state 2?
My assumption is that it can be modeled like an adiabatic expansion.
this would lead to
1591008719807.png
leading to:
1591008684293.png
or
1591008390927.png

Though I'm not sure of this assumption.
I would like to either back this up, or change the assumption.
Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the heat transfer between the vessel and the gas is negligible, then your equation is OK, provided the V's are specific volumes (volume of vessel, a constant, divided by mass of gas in vessel at any time).

But your final equation is incorrect.

Chestermiller said:
If the heat transfer between the vessel and the gas is negligible, then your equation is OK, provided the V's are specific volumes (volume of vessel, a constant, divided by mass of gas in vessel at any time).

But your final equation is incorrect.

Thanks for your reply.

The heat transfer is indeed assumed to be negligible.

As the density of the air flowing out, as well as the density of the air in the vessel are the same, I've assumed that ΔV̇/V = Δv̇ /v
Is this assumption also correct?

Also: On what grounds can I justify using an adiabatic process here?

mattie said:
Thanks for your reply.

The heat transfer is indeed assumed to be negligible.

As the density of the air flowing out, as well as the density of the air in the vessel are the same, I've assumed that ΔV̇/V = Δv̇ /v
Is this assumption also correct?
Are you saying that the volume rate of flow out of the tank based on the initial pressure and temperature are constant? On what basis are you making such a radical assumption. Other possibilities are (1) the volume rate of flow based on the outside pressure and current discharge temperature, or just (2) the mass rate of flow out of the tank. So why have you made such an unusual choice, and how could you control it?
Also: On what grounds can I justify using an adiabatic process here?
If the discharge is relatively fast so that the heat transfer between the vessel mass and the gas doesn't have time to respond.

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that the volume rate of flow out of the tank based on the initial pressure and temperature are constant? On what basis are you making such a radical assumption. Other possibilities are (1) the volume rate of flow based on the outside pressure and current discharge temperature, or just (2) the mass rate of flow out of the tank. So why have you made such an unusual choice, and how could you control it?
I'm making this assumption as this is a part of a more complex system, which is not of importance to this part in particular. The air flow is modeled as a function of pressure and air density. [tex] \dot{V}=A\cdot C \sqrt{\frac{2(p_{in}-p_{out})}{\rho}} [/tex]
The system is solved using a Matlab ODE solver, so the input will be known for each small interval
For this to work, I need to know the change in pressure as a function of outflow of air, and total volume (which is assumed to be constant at a small time-frame).
The volume of the chamber itself changes in a prescribed manner, which in itself adds another (adiabatic as well) component to the rate of change in pressure.

If the discharge is relatively fast so that the heat transfer between the vessel mass and the gas doesn't have time to respond.
What I meant to ask was: Why is this not similar to a free expansion, for which PV=constant?

mattie said:
I'm making this assumption as this is a part of a more complex system, which is not of importance to this part in particular. The air flow is modeled as a function of pressure and air density. [tex] \dot{V}=A\cdot C \sqrt{\frac{2(p_{in}-p_{out})}{\rho}} [/tex]
The system is solved using a Matlab ODE solver, so the input will be known for each small interval
For this to work, I need to know the change in pressure as a function of outflow of air, and total volume (which is assumed to be constant at a small time-frame).
Does your equation calculate the volume flow rate at the inside pressure and density or the outside pressure and density? What you really need is the mass flow rate.
The volume of the chamber itself changes in a prescribed manner, which in itself adds another (adiabatic as well) component to the rate of change in pressure.
The volume of the chamber doesn't change.

What I meant to ask was: Why is this not similar to a free expansion, for which PV=constant?
This differs from free expansion in that the gas within the tank is doing work to force the gas leaving ahead of it out of the tank.

Chestermiller said:
Does your equation calculate the volume flow rate at the inside pressure and density or the outside pressure and density? What you really need is the mass flow rate.
It calculates the volume flow rate using the inside pressure, outside pressure, and density inside of the chamber.
The air density in the chamber is assumed to be known.

The mass flow rate would be density multiplied by the volumetric flow, and the specific volume would be 1 divided by the density.
The volume of the chamber doesn't change.
Not as a part of the interaction posted here, but it does in a separate one. This interaction also adds a component to the rate of change in pressure.
This differs from free expansion in that the gas within the tank is doing work to force the gas leaving ahead of it out of the tank.
Ah, I think this is the part I was looking for!

mattie said:
It calculates the volume flow rate using the inside pressure, outside pressure, and density inside of the chamber.
The air density in the chamber is assumed to be known.

The mass flow rate would be density multiplied by the volumetric flow, and the specific volume would be 1 divided by the density.
So if you wanted to calculate the mass flow rate using your volume flow rate equation, would you multiply by the density inside the chamber or the density outside the chamber? You are aware that these two results would be different, right?
Not as a part of the interaction posted here, but it does in a separate one. This interaction also adds a component to the rate of change in pressure.
Huh? Your diagram shows that the rigid container has constant volume. So what are you talking about?

Chestermiller said:
So if you wanted to calculate the mass flow rate using your volume flow rate equation, would you multiply by the density inside the chamber or the density outside the chamber? You are aware that these two results would be different, right?
Yes, I use the one inside of the chamber, because it's this air that moving outwards.
Huh? Your diagram shows that the rigid container has constant volume. So what are you talking about?
I split the interaction into 2 processes. 1 process reduces the size of the chamber following a pre-determined path. And then there's the one I posted here, which consists of air flowing outwards.
Both have a certain influence on the air pressure difference, which I calculate by adding them together.

mattie said:
I split the interaction into 2 processes. 1 process reduces the size of the chamber following a pre-determined path. And then there's the one I posted here, which consists of air flowing outwards.
Both have a certain influence on the air pressure difference, which I calculate by adding them together.
That doesn't make sense to me. If m represents the mass of gas within the (constant volume) vessel at any time, then the pressure within the vessel at any time is given by: $$p=p_0\left(\frac{m}{m_0}\right)^{1.4}$$ where the subscript 0 refers to the pressure initially. So the rate of change of pressure is related to the rate of change of mass by: $$\dot{p}=1.4\frac{p_0}{m_0}\left(\frac{m}{m_0}\right)^{0.4}\dot{m}=1.4\frac{p}{m}\dot{m}$$

• Informative
Likes mattie
Chestermiller said:
That doesn't make sense to me. If m represents the mass of gas within the (constant volume) vessel at any time, then the pressure within the vessel at any time is given by: $$p=p_0\left(\frac{m}{m_0}\right)^{1.4}$$ where the subscript 0 refers to the pressure initially. So the rate of change of pressure is related to the rate of change of mass by: $$\dot{p}=1.4\frac{p_0}{m_0}\left(\frac{m}{m_0}\right)^{0.4}\dot{m}=1.4\frac{p}{m}\dot{m}$$
Ah, that makes it clearer for me.
the reason I split up the interactions is because both processes work independently from each other. one of them reduces the volume, and the other reduces the mass of the gass.
And since each small time step is calculated individually, the volume and pressure are considered to be constant while calculating their change.
Could you explain why the last formula I wrote in my initial post is wrong?

mattie said:
Yes, I use the one inside of the chamber, because it's this air that moving outwards.

Let me simplify it for you further. From your equation [tex] \dot{V}=A\cdot C \sqrt{\frac{2(p_{in}-p_{out})}{\rho}} [/tex] it follows that the rate of change of mass within the tank is at any time is $$\frac{dm}{dt}=-AC\sqrt{2\rho (p-p_{out})}=-AC\sqrt{\frac{2m (p-p_{out})}{V}}\tag{1}$$where p and ##\rho=\frac{m}{V}## refer to the pressure and density of the air within the tank at any time.

From my equation $$p=p_0\left(\frac{m}{m_0}\right)^{1.4}$$ it follows that$$\frac{m}{m_0}=\left(\frac{p}{p_0}\right)^{1/1.4}\tag{2}$$where the subscript 0 refers to the values of the mass and pressure at time zero. If I take the time derivative this equation, I obtain: $$\frac{dm}{dt}=\frac{m_0}{1.4p_0}\left(\frac{p}{p_0}\right)^{\frac{1}{1.4}-1}\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{m}{p}\frac{dp}{dt}\tag{3}$$From Eqns. 1-3, you can eliminate both m and dm/dt to obtain an equation for dp/dt exclusively in terms of p. Let's see what you get.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mattie

1. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformations in a system. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. In other words, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of the heat present in a system.

3. How do thermodynamic systems reach equilibrium?

Thermodynamic systems reach equilibrium when there is no longer a net flow of energy between the system and its surroundings. This means that the system has reached a state of maximum stability, where the energy is evenly distributed throughout the system.

4. What is the significance of thermodynamic relations?

Thermodynamic relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between different thermodynamic variables, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. These relations are important because they allow us to analyze and predict the behavior of thermodynamic systems, and they provide a framework for understanding the laws of thermodynamics.

5. How are thermodynamic relations applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamic relations are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, chemistry, and physics. They are used to design and optimize energy systems, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. They are also used in material science to understand the behavior of materials at different temperatures and pressures. In chemistry, thermodynamic relations are used to calculate the energy changes in chemical reactions and predict the feasibility of a reaction.