Models for Determining Volumes and Surface Areas

In summary: The approximating area is dA=pi*f(x)^2. The true area is dT=pi*f(x)^2+dA. If dx is small, the approximating area dominates and you would neglect the true area. If dx is large though, the true area dominates and you would use the approximating area and get an error.
whoareyou
When we generate solid by rotating a curve around an axis, we use "slabs" of cylinders to approximate the volume of this solid of revolution. When we want the find the surface area, we instead use "slabs" of conical frustums (ie. the slope of the differential length of curve is taken into consideration). Why is this?

The way I see it: When find the area under a curve, we approximate using rectangles. If you were to rotate the curve along with those rectangles, you generate approximating cylinders which can be used to find the volume. So why is it different when trying to find surface area?

I've tried to find the surface area of a sphere by using cylinders and not the frustums and obtained the correct surface area formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
whoareyou said:
When we generate solid by rotating a curve around an axis, we use "slabs" of cylinders to approximate the volume of this solid of revolution. When we want the find the surface area, we instead use "slabs" of conical frustums (ie. the slope of the differential length of curve is taken into consideration). Why is this?

The way I see it: When find the area under a curve, we approximate using rectangles. If you were to rotate the curve along with those rectangles, you generate approximating cylinders which can be used to find the volume. So why is it different when trying to find surface area?

I've tried to find the surface area of a sphere by using cylinders and not the frustums and obtained the correct surface area formula.

You will NOT obtain the correct surface area of a sphere using the surface area of enclosed cylinders unless you made a mistake. Post your workings. The cylinders are good approximation to the volume. They don't approximate the surface area well. It doesn't even work for a cone.

Oh right, I made a mistake in the integral! So then why is this the case?

whoareyou said:
Oh right, I made a mistake in the integral! So then why is this the case?

Because of the slope of the sides. Take a 45 degree cone and imagine splitting it into equally spaced cylinders. It won't approach the area of the cone no matter how small the cylinders are. You'll be off by a factor of sqrt(2). That's why there is a f'(x) in the formula for area.

Why doesn't this extra space have to be factored into determine the volume?

whoareyou said:
Why doesn't this extra space have to be factored into determine the volume?

Because the extra volume approaches 0 as the size of the cylinders decreases. The extra area doesn't. Think of trying to get the arc length of the hypotenuse of a triangle by summing the sides of approximating rectangles. It just doesn't work.

Intuitively, it makes sense but I can't seem to make it out mathematically and I want to start all the way from the bottom.

The situation is analogous to the curve-length formula: following the same approach in that case, you would just integrate the width of each infinitesimal segment, giving the very uninteresting integral[dx] = x. The length along the curve of the sloped segment, sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2), does NOT approach dx as dx goes to 0; rather it approaches sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2)*dx. Therefore this factor must be retained in the curve length formula.

Source: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51814.html

I'm not understanding this. Doesn't [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{dx\rightarrow 0}\sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2} = \sqrt{dy^2} = dy[/itex] ?

whoareyou said:
Intuitively, it makes sense but I can't seem to make it out mathematically and I want to start all the way from the bottom.

I'm not understanding this. Doesn't [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{dx\rightarrow 0}\sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2} = \sqrt{dy^2} = dy[/itex] ?

Not if dy depends on dx. If the curve is y(x)=f(x) then dy=f'(x)dx. If f'(x) is nonzero you can't ignore what's happening with dy.

Ok I see. Now, how would I go about showing that this arc length doesn't affect the volume and we could just use regular cylinders for the integral?

whoareyou said:
Ok I see. Now, how would I go about showing that this arc length doesn't affect the volume and we could just use regular cylinders for the integral?

Try to think of an argument why. You have the approximating cylinder with volume dV=pi*f(x)^2*dx. Can you think of an upper bound for the amount error (call it dE) you are making in neglecting the true shape of the curve? Can you show dE/dV goes to zero as dx approaches 0?

If the error is the true area- the approximating area, how would you calculate the true area for some strip of with dx?

1. What is a model for determining volume and surface area?

A model for determining volume and surface area is a representation or simulation of an object or shape that allows us to calculate its volume and surface area. These models can be physical or mathematical, and are used to better understand and measure the properties of different objects.

2. Why is it important to determine the volume and surface area of an object?

Determining the volume and surface area of an object is important for many reasons. It can help us understand the physical properties of an object, such as its shape and size. It is also useful for designing and constructing objects, as well as for calculating quantities such as materials needed or the capacity of a container.

3. What are some common types of models used to determine volume and surface area?

Some common types of models used to determine volume and surface area include geometric shapes, such as cubes, cylinders, and spheres, as well as more complex mathematical models like calculus-based models. There are also physical models, such as 3D printed objects or scale models, that can be used to determine volume and surface area.

4. How can models for determining volume and surface area be applied in real life?

Models for determining volume and surface area have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, architects and engineers use these models to design buildings and structures. They are also used in manufacturing, cooking, and other industries to ensure proper dimensions and quantities. In science and research, these models can help us understand the properties of natural objects or simulate different scenarios.

5. What are some common formulas used in models for determining volume and surface area?

Some common formulas used in models for determining volume and surface area include the formula for the volume of a cube (V = s³), the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr²h), and the formula for the surface area of a sphere (A = 4πr²). Other common formulas include the Pythagorean theorem for finding the length of a side in a right triangle, and the formula for the area of a triangle (A = ½bh).