Moderate forum software upgrade 4/10

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Tomorrow 4/10 Jeez, he's going to fiddle with the knobs again. However, the upgrade is complete. One of these big changes is a new editor. I predict there will be some minor issues going forward. Please be aware and report them so we can get them fixed asap. Thanks!
Tomorrow 4/10 I'll be upgrading the core forum software. It is a moderate update that required some addon and style adjustments. One of these big changes is a new editor. I predict there will be some minor issues going forward. Please be aware and report them so we can get them fixed asap. Thanks!

Likes Wrichik Basu, jim mcnamara, etotheipi and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, Jeez, he's going to fiddle with the knobs again.

But don't push the red button...

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
The upgrade is complete. I already see a few issues like some icons not showing. I'll spend tomorrow working through these issues. Please report anything else you find in here.

the preview option is no longer visible
1618123789372.png

Likes Stephen Tashi and Lisa!
Its in the left corner:

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.54.42 PM.png

Likes Hamiltonian
I would never have spotted that!

Some honest feedback would be that I preferred the old preview button, just because you could see the preview whilst editing and also because you don't need to keep clicking backward and forward. Although, maybe I'll warm to it... ☺️

Likes Hamiltonian, PeroK and JD_PM
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
the preview option is no longer visible
BillTre said:
Its in the left corner:

View attachment 281325
That would be the other left corner -- the one on the upper right...

• Haha
Likes hmmm27, jim mcnamara, jack action and 4 others
Mark44 said:
That would be the other left corner -- the one on the upper right...
I still don't see any preview option even on the upper right!:(

Lisa! said:
I still don't see any preview option even on the upper right!:(
It's a page with a little magnifying glass. What else would it be? Who needs words when you have icons?

Likes Lisa! and Vanadium 50
I never thought that alphabet thingy would catch on. Give me good old fashioned hieroglyphics any day!

Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
Looks like the smiley things are gone. I tried looking under the "more" dot things as well...

1618154702652.png

berkeman said:
Looks like the smiley things are gone. I tried looking under the "more" dot things as well...
1618154976591.png

:smile:

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
It's a page with a little magnifying glass. What else would it be? Who needs words when you have icons?
Thanks! I almost tested every new icon but I thought this 1 had been here even before upgrading:biggrin:

I like the new editor - everything now seems to be accessible in mobile, which wasn't the case with the old one. It'll take a bit of time to get used to the submenu layout, though.

@Greg Bernhardt - you said there were a few missing icons. I've noticed that the "My PF" link in the menu bar seems to be gone (although it's clickable). Also my trophy is missing, although I see etotheipi, V50 and phinds' trophies. Not noticed anything else missing.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
@Greg Bernhardt - you said there were a few missing icons. I've noticed that the "My PF" link in the menu bar seems to be gone (although it's clickable). Also my trophy is missing, although I see etotheipi, V50 and phinds' trophies. Not noticed anything else missing.
I can see you are a Science Advisor and Insights Author.

etotheipi said:
Ah, thanks! I clicked the other two 3-dot things, but missed the ones in the middle. o0)

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
I can see you are a Science Advisor and Insights Author.
Yes, I can see that too, but I also won a trophy this year and I don't see that. <stamps feet, sulks>

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
Actually on that subject, I can't see @PeroK's either. Which is ironic, given that before adjustment he won like 9 of them or something... 😜

etotheipi said:
Actually on that subject, I can't see @PeroK's either. Which is ironic, given that before adjustment he won like 9 of them or something... 😜
I think it was no more than 8.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
Yes, I can see that too, but I also won a trophy this year and I don't see that. <stamps feet, sulks>
Yeah the awards say 2019, looks like the 2020 awards got reverted, I'll get on this later today.

Likes Ibix
wait wtf, you're telling me it's already 2021? 😧

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
I can't attach pictures anymore.

etotheipi said:
Some honest feedback would be that I preferred the old preview button, just because you could see the preview whilst editing and also because you don't need to keep clicking backward and forward. Although, maybe I'll warm to it... ☺️
I hated the old design. If at least the preview would have appeared after the preview button. It was a pain with long posts to go from editing to click preview again.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the upgrade, but it seems I don't receive email notifications anymore. My settings are still the same, I tried one thread where I click unwatch and then watch again, but I still don't get email notifications when there is a new post. (But the on-site notifications work fine)

Lnewqban said:
I can't attach pictures anymore.
MtAdams 001.jpg

Yeah, I can't either... :headbang:

BTW, I took the photo above at the top of my state's second highest volcano -- Mt. Adams, 12,281 ft. Early in the 20th century miners gathered sulfur from the summit and hauled it down on mules to a wagon road, then continued by horse-drawn wagons. Along about that time people discovered that they could pump hot water into deposits of sulfur in Louisiana with much less effort, so the claim on Mt. Adams was no longer economically viable. The cabin was still "standing" when I took the picture in the late '80s.

Likes Hamiltonian
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah the awards say 2019, looks like the 2020 awards got reverted, I'll get on this later today.

You're going to rip off my 2019 badge?:cry:
Again? :cry:

...least you could do is add a 10K like award.

Vanadium 50 said:
You're going to rip off my 2019 badge?:cry:
Again? :cry:
<Salutes, plays Taps>

Ibix said:
<Salutes, plays Taps>

You'd hope so, but I managed to obtain secret footage of Greg taking away someone's 2019 badge last year, and it's not pretty... :nb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ibix
So I don't know if this is a forum issue or my browser, but I only see a blank space where @etotheipi apparently put a video.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
So I don't know if this is a forum issue or my browser, but I only see a blank space where @etotheipi apparently put a video.
I can see it (Gordon!). I'm using Firefox on Win10.

Likes Ibix
Firefox on Android - still can't see it, even after a restart.

berkeman said:
I can see it (Gordon!). I'm using Firefox on Win10.
I can't see it using Chrome. I see this:

1618167139207.png

I also saw a message saying "requests to the server are blocked by an extension", but now that message disappeared.