Moderate forum software upgrade 4/10

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Tomorrow 4/10 Jeez, he's going to fiddle with the knobs again. However, the upgrade is complete. One of these big changes is a new editor. I predict there will be some minor issues going forward. Please be aware and report them so we can get them fixed asap. Thanks!
@Greg Bernhardt one thing I noticed is that to dismiss notifications you now have to click through to the actual threads, instead of them automatically dismissing themselves once you press the bell button. Was that an intentional change? 😜

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
@Greg Bernhardt one thing I noticed is that to dismiss notifications you now have to click through to the actual threads, instead of them automatically dismissing themselves once you press the bell button. Was that an intentional change? 😜
I have noticed too and need to investigate.

Also, while posting a new thread, the summary field is present twice. Probably once is enough.

etotheipi said:
You can modify that setting in your personal preference:

pf-screenshot.png

Likes Keith_McClary and etotheipi
jack action said:
You can modify that setting in your personal preference:
oooh, thanks!

Wrichik Basu said:
Also, while posting a new thread, the summary field is present twice. Probably once is enough.
Similarly when posting in the homework forums the "homework statement" and "relevant equations" fields also each appear twice; it's the second one that works.

• Wow
Likes Greg Bernhardt
etotheipi said:
Similarly when posting in the homework forums the "homework statement" and "relevant equations" fields also each appear twice; it's the second one that works.
oh yikes, I'll look into this tonight

Did you already fix it Greg, or is it browser dependent? Using FireFox on my Win10 laptop it looks okay:

1618611808856.png

berkeman said:
Did you already fix it Greg, or is it browser dependent? Using FireFox on my Win10 laptop it looks okay:
Yeah I worked on it, good to know you can confirm!

Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
I have noticed too and need to investigate.
Also, first time In the morning they are dated "Tomorrow". I don't remember that happening before. Not a big problem, but maybe a clue.

I must admit I'm having problems not being able to see the preview and edit the post at the same time. Is there a way to get both on the screen at the same time?

Likes mfb and Wrichik Basu
Inserting a link in a fresh edit window yields a pulldown that doesn't go outside the edit window:
1618869519587.png

No
1618869670991.png
to click on !

It can be worked around if you notice a scrollbar has appeared, but I find it unexpected behaviour ...##\ ##

BvU said:
No
1618869670991-png.png
to click on !

You can press Enter.

BvU said:
It can be worked around if you notice a scrollbar has appeared, but I find it unexpected behaviour ...
I think this is due to a change I made today. It is not expected behavior. Looking into fixing it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have adjusted the toolbar buttons. Is it better now?
:oldlove: Yes, thanks @Greg Bernhardt :partytime::bow:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Keith_McClary
Keith_McClary said:
Also, first time In the morning they are dated "Tomorrow". I don't remember that happening before. Not a big problem, but maybe a clue.
Screenshot from 2021-04-26 07-19-24.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, berkeman and BvU
The display should always be in the local time zone you set in your profile. A post can never have been made tomorrow in your set time zone.

In the Trophies section, some icons are not visible. In addition, the number of trophies earned out of total number of trophies under a certain category always remains 1 out of 1:

1619677369274.png

Not a major issue, by the way.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
The display should always be in the local time zone you set in your profile. A post can never have been made tomorrow in your set time zone.
I see no place for time zone in my profile page.
@Greg Bernhardt

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary
dlgoff said:
I see no place for time zone in my profile page.
@Greg Bernhardt
Go to MY PF -> Preferences. You should be able to find Time Zone at the top.

1619728627888.png

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and dlgoff
Wrichik Basu said:
Go to MY PF -> Preferences. You should be able to find Time Zone at the top.

View attachment 282230
Got it. changed. Thanks.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Another tiny issue:

Suppose I have one alert. As soon as I click on the thread, the alert is cleared. Before the upgrade, the red dot beside the bookmark was cleared when the alert was cleared. Now, that red dot stays until I click on another link within PF, after which it is cleared.

Clipboard01.png