Modern Physics/Structure of Matter

• Atomic
  • Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the author feels that the book is too wordy, and confusing. They recommend supplementing with a Schaum's Outline to help with understanding. There are 3 questions provided in the example exam.
Mépris
Hi,

I will need to write an exam on Structure of Matter soon. The book the course is based on is Modern Physics by John Morrison. I feel like it's a bit too wordy, and confusing.

Do you know of any books that has more problems with solutions and/or many worked examples? Would a Schaum's Outline be an appropriate supplement? I learn better when I have worked examples, and problems that gradually increase in difficulty.

The chapters covered in the courses are 4 (Hydrogen Atom), 5 (Many Electron Atoms), 13 (Particle Physics), and 14 (Nuclear Physics). I have also uploaded an example exam that was provided to us. There are 3 questions. I would be most grateful if you could perhaps take a look at it, and then suggest a book. That way, you'd get a sense of what level the course is at.

Note: I don't go to a US university, and not all of my courses have suitable books prescribed. For e.g, my previous Thermo course used Atkins, and I found that book really confusing. After searching here, I found another book by Ira Levine that was a hell of a lot clearer, and I understood the derivations a lot better.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
One can have liking for one book over other, but the knowledge and what you understand or are able to solve should not be too much book-centric. At times we get better insights out of the confusions which can be talked about aloud. And these insights can help you understand the subject better and also help you to solve problem. You say the book confuses you kindly share your confusion here. Do not be afraid of and hide your confusion. At times confusion generates the understanding.

Thanks for your reply.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but at the same time, some books are just not clearly written. Or rather, they don't cater as well to everyone, and in which case, finding a better book is a good option. I guess I will keep searching.

Having said that, I will post my questions in the relevant sub forum as I study, no matter how dumb. :-)

What is modern physics?

Modern physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of matter and energy at a microscopic level, including the behavior of particles and their interactions.

What is the structure of matter?

The structure of matter refers to the arrangement of particles within an object. At the most basic level, matter is made up of atoms, which consist of a nucleus (containing protons and neutrons) surrounded by electrons.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory in modern physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic scale. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other at the atomic and subatomic level.

How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity, a theory proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory has revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the relationship between matter and energy, leading to advancements in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

What is the significance of the Higgs Boson particle?

The Higgs Boson particle, also known as the "God particle", is a fundamental particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, a crucial component in our understanding of how particles acquire mass.