Modern Physics Text for self-study

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is searching for a modern physics text for self-study, and is considering Krane's book or Crowell's ebooks. They mention their interest in concepts and decent problem sets, and note their understanding of Calculus but lack of experience with Diff Eq. They express their excitement to add the recommended resources to their Christmas list.
Adsit_Deus
As the title implies, I am looking for a decent introductory modern physics text for self-study purposes. I'm a Biochemistry major, so this is partially for my own enjoyment and partially for preparation for Physical Chemistry II. I know that there are a lot of threads on this, but I always like to try to get the most up to date opinions that I can. I have a fair understanding of Calculus, but have not taken Diff Eq yet, so if that changes anyone's opinion or makes modern physics pointless to try to learn, I can always wait. I am honestly more interested in concepts as I start off rather than knowing how to work all of the problems, but I would enjoy a book with decent problems sets if possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the universe at a small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles, and at a large scale, such as galaxies and the entire universe. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and cosmology.

2. Who can benefit from self-studying modern physics?

Anyone with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics can benefit from self-studying modern physics. It is particularly useful for students and researchers in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, as well as individuals with a general interest in understanding the fundamental workings of the universe.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for self-studying modern physics?

Some popular textbooks for self-studying modern physics include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka, "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos, and "Modern Physics" by Kenneth Krane. It is also helpful to consult online resources and lecture notes from universities.

4. Is it necessary to have advanced mathematical knowledge for self-studying modern physics?

A basic understanding of calculus and algebra is necessary for self-studying modern physics. Some concepts, especially in quantum mechanics, may require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and differential equations. However, there are many resources available that provide a mathematical background for those who may not have a strong foundation in these areas.

5. How can I apply the knowledge gained from self-studying modern physics?

The knowledge gained from self-studying modern physics can be applied in various fields, including research, engineering, and technology. It can also help individuals develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many professions. Additionally, understanding modern physics can provide a deeper appreciation and understanding of the world around us.