Modiffied young 2 slit experiment

In summary, the Young's double slit experiment is modified by placing a thin parallel glass plate over one of the slits. The presence of the glass plate causes a spatial frequency shift and lateral spatial shift in the interference fringes observed on a screen placed at a distance from the lens. The lens serves to bring the far-field to a comfortable distance in the laboratory. The refractive index of the glass causes a phase shift which affects the position of the fringes.
brad sue

Homework Statement

The Young's double slit experiment is modified, as shown below, by placing a thin parallel glass plate of thickness d and refractive index n over one of the slits. Here a is the slit width in the x direction and b is the slit separation also in the x direction. The system is excited with on-axis collimated laser light of wavelength. A lens of focal length F is placed immediately behind the slits and a screen is placed a distance F away from the lens, so that a set of well-defined interference fringes are visible on the screen. Ignore all phase changes from reflection and transmission in this problem.

(a) For the case where the glass plate is absent, derive an expression for the position, X2m, of the mth maximum on the screen.
(b) Derive an expression for the spatial frequency shift [(sin (θ’))/λ - (sin θ)/λ] that occurs when the glass slide is inserted in the position shown in the diagram. What important conclusion do you draw from your expression?
(c) Derive an expression for the lateral spatial shift X’2m -X2m on the screen as a result of inserting the glass slide.
(d) In which direction do the fringes shift?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem but I did not use the fresnel nor fraunhofer equations.
Do you think i should use those equations or concept?
It is the lens that confuses me. I know that when we have a lens, the output field is the Fourier transform of the input field.
I attached the picture.

Please, can I have your suggestions?
thank you

Attachments

• young_experiment.gif
    young_experiment.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need Faraunhofer or Fresnel equations with this problem.
The lens serves to bring the so-called "far-field" (Fraunhofer diffraction) to comfortable distance within the laboratory. Forget about it.
The glass slab is the key. Since the speed of light changes inside the glass, so does the wavelength. Thus, the phase shift, after traveling a distance d changes according the refraction index. This phase shift makes the fringes move up or down. Repeat the basic calculation, but take into account the refractive index of glass.

Thank you
As you said the lens just allow the fringes to be seen at a focal length . For example if the distance to the screen was 2* focal length the fringes would appear blurry.

What is the modified young 2 slit experiment?

The modified young 2 slit experiment is a scientific experiment that involves passing light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. It is a variation of the original young's double slit experiment, but with some modifications to the setup and conditions.

Why is the modified young 2 slit experiment important?

This experiment is important because it helps to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light and the phenomenon of interference. It also allows scientists to study the properties of light and develop theories about its behavior.

What are the key differences between the modified young 2 slit experiment and the original young's double slit experiment?

The modified young 2 slit experiment differs from the original in several ways: the slits are closer together, the light source is a laser, and the screen is closer to the slits. These modifications allow for a more focused and clear interference pattern to be observed.

What are some practical applications of the modified young 2 slit experiment?

The modified young 2 slit experiment has practical applications in various fields such as optics, engineering, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study the properties of light, develop new technologies, and further our understanding of the quantum world.

What can the modified young 2 slit experiment tell us about the nature of light?

Through this experiment, we can learn that light has wave-like properties and can exhibit interference. It also helps to support the wave-particle duality theory, which states that light can behave as both a wave and a particle depending on the experimental conditions.