Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule.

• Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation is about a mixing rule that allows for the use of activity coefficients in VLE simulations. The participant is having trouble generating the same graphs as other VLE simulators using the Predictive Soave-Redlich-Kwong (PSRK) equation of state's mixing rule, and suspects an error in their equations. They are using a modified Raoult's law and NRTL or Wilson methods in their equations.
maistral
I have a question about this mixing rule.

Seeing that it allows activity coefficients be used, and seeing that this mixing rule is very, very similar to the Predictive Soave-Redlich-Kwong (PSRK) equation of state's mixing rule, and seeing that other VLE simulators' PSRK VLE graphs are very, very similar to the modified Raoult's law VLE graphs; -

I am having the assumption that any mixing rule that incorporates a local-composition activity coefficient method (NRTL, Wilson, etc etc) in an equation of state method should give almost (if not exactly) the same graph as the one with the modified Raoult's law graph assuming that the ideal gas law is valid at that particular operating pressure.

My problem is that I seem to be unable to generate the same graphs :( I don't know if my equations are incorrect or something, I'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with my partial derivative d(na)/d(n) in the fugacity equations. I hope someone can help me in this, I can't find what's wrong @_@

Details about PSRK are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSRK

These are the equations I'm using; CEoS = -0.64663.
b3sbb4.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
P = x1*P1 + x2*P2V = x1*V1 + x2*V2a = 0.42747*R^2*Tc^2/Pcb = 0.08664*R*Tc/Pcalpha1 = (1 + CEoS*(1 - sqrt(T/Tc1)))^2alpha2 = (1 + CEoS*(1 - sqrt(T/Tc2)))^2A = a1*alpha1*x1^2 + 2*a12*sqrt(alpha1*alpha2)*x1*x2 + a2*alpha2*x2^2B = b1*x1 + b2*x2Z = (P + A/V^2) / (R*T)lnphi1 = (Z - 1) - ln(Z - B) - (A/B*V/R*T)*ln((Z + B*(1 + sqrt(2)))/(Z + B*(1 - sqrt(2))))lnphi2 = (Z - 1) - ln(Z - B) - (A/B*V/R*T)*ln((Z + B*(1 + sqrt(2)))/(Z + B*(1 - sqrt(2))))fugacity1 = x1*P*exp(lnphi1)fugacity2 = x2*P*exp(lnphi2)

1) What is the Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule?

The Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule is a method used to estimate the properties of a mixture of two or more components based on the properties of the individual components. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

2) How does the Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule work?

The Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule is based on the assumption that the properties of a mixture can be calculated by taking a weighted average of the properties of the individual components. The weights used in the calculation are determined by the mole fractions of each component in the mixture.

3) When is the Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule used?

The Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule is commonly used when the properties of a mixture are needed but cannot be directly measured. It is also used in cases where the mixture is not ideal, meaning that the interactions between the components are not negligible.

4) What are the limitations of the Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule?

While the Modified Huron-Vidal (1) mixing rule is a useful approximation, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the components in the mixture are miscible, meaning they are able to mix together in all proportions. It also does not take into account any non-ideal behavior such as phase changes or chemical reactions.

5) Are there different versions of the Huron-Vidal mixing rule?

Yes, there are several versions of the Huron-Vidal mixing rule, including Modified Huron-Vidal (1) and Modified Huron-Vidal (2). These different versions take into account different factors such as pressure and temperature in the calculation of mixture properties.