Modified transport equation (PDE)

In summary, the method of characteristics is a technique for solving a PDE problem by transforming it into an ODE problem along lines parallel to a specific direction. The solution for the inhomogeneous case involves subtracting an integral term from the initial condition.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
solve the modified transport equation using the method of characteristics.
Relevant Equations
##\partial_t u + <b, Du> + cu=0##
##u(0,x)=f##
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 1.11.05 AM.png

Hi all, I

Fix $$(t,x) ∈ (0,\infty) \times R^n$$and consider auxillary function
$$w(s)=u(t+s,x+sb)$$
Then, $$\partial_s w(s)=(\partial_tu)(t+s,x+sb)\frac{d}{ds}(t+s)+<Du(t+s,x+sb)\frac{d}{ds}(x+sb)>$$
$$=(\partial_tu)(t+s,x+sb)+<b,Du(t+s,x+sb)>$$
$$=-cu(t+s,x+sb)$$
$$\partial_sw(s)=-cu(t+s,x+sb)$$
by Fundamental theorem of calculus,
$$u(t,x)-f(x-tb)=u(t,x)-u(0,x-tb)$$
$$=w(0)-w(-t)$$
$$=\int^0_{-t}\partial_sw(s)ds$$
$$=\int^0_{-t}-cu(t+s,x+sb)ds$$
$$s_o=s+t$$
$$=\int^t_{0}cu(s_o,x+(s_o-t)b)ds_o$$

$$u(t,x)=f(x-tb)+\int^t_{0}cu(s_o,x+(s_o-t)b)ds_o$$

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You've gone astray somewhere; this one has a closed-form analytic solution in terms of [itex]f[/itex].

Start by setting [itex]u(t,x) = e^{\alpha t}v(t,x)[/itex] and choose [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]v[/itex] satisfies [tex]
\partial_t v + (b, Dv) = 0
[/tex] subject to [itex]v(0,\cdot) = f[/itex]. Hopefully this is the "transport equation" as defined in lectures.

Likes docnet
pasmith said:
You've gone astray somewhere; this one has a closed-form analytic solution in terms of [itex]f[/itex].

Start by setting [itex]u(t,x) = e^{\alpha t}v(t,x)[/itex] and choose [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that [itex]v[/itex] satisfies [tex]
\partial_t v + (b, Dv) = 0
[/tex] subject to [itex]v(0,\cdot) = f[/itex]. Hopefully this is the "transport equation" as defined in lectures.

That PDE in ##v## is the homogeneous transport equation we learned in lecture. I think our original problem is a transport equation with an inhomogeneous term. To be honest, I don't know whether that closed-form analytic solution is ultimately different from the answer from my professor's notes.

I looked in his notes and found this:

Given a PDE problem
##\partial_t u+<b,Du>=f## for ##u## in ##t\times R^n##
##u(0,x)=g## for ##g## on ##\left\{t=0\right\}\times R^n##
(The term in <> is the dot product of ##b## in ##R^n## and ##Du## the gradient of ##u##.)
The solution is given by ##u(t,x)=g(x-tb)+\int^t_0 f(s, x+(s-t)b)ds##

Our problem has ##-cu## as the inhomogeneous term, and I adapted the solution to fit the problem. I am not understanding the proof from his notes yet, that I copied almost directly into my solution. That is the method of characteristics, and it is not coming so easily yet.

The method of characteristics turns a PDE problem into an ODE problem (if the PDE is inhomogeneous) along lines parallel to ##(1, b)##. If the PDE is homogeneous, then the solutions become constant on lines parallel to ##(1, b)##. I can visualize this for the homogeneous case for ##u(t,x)## in ##R^2##, but not for higher dimensions.

I made a mistake with my first answer because it should have said ##u(t,x)=f(x-tb)-\int^t_{0}cu(s_o,x+(s_o-t)b)ds_o## instead of ##u(t,x)=f(x-tb)+\int^t_{0}cu(s_o,x+(s_o-t)b)ds_o##

edited for grammer

What is a modified transport equation?

A modified transport equation is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the evolution of a quantity as it is transported through a medium, while taking into account additional factors such as diffusion, chemical reactions, or external forces.

What are the applications of modified transport equations?

Modified transport equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. They can also be applied in modeling atmospheric and oceanic processes, as well as in studying biological systems.

How is a modified transport equation different from a standard transport equation?

A standard transport equation only considers the advection (transport) of a quantity, while a modified transport equation includes additional terms that account for other processes such as diffusion or chemical reactions. This makes the modified transport equation more complex and requires more sophisticated mathematical techniques to solve.

What are the challenges in solving a modified transport equation?

Due to the additional terms and complexity, solving a modified transport equation can be challenging. The equation may not have an analytical solution and numerical methods may be required. Additionally, the choice of numerical method and the accuracy of the solution can greatly affect the results.

What are some techniques used to solve modified transport equations?

Numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, and finite volume methods are commonly used to solve modified transport equations. These methods discretize the equation into smaller parts and solve them iteratively. Other techniques such as perturbation methods and asymptotic analysis can also be used to approximate solutions for certain types of modified transport equations.