How to prove that d|c in gcd(ac,b) = gcd(c,b) if gcd(a,b) = 1?

In summary, if the greatest common divisor of two numbers a and b is equal to 1, then the greatest common divisor of their product with another number c and b is also equal to 1. This can be proven by showing that if d is the greatest common divisor of ac and b, and g is the greatest common divisor of c and b, then d and g are equal.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

if gcd(a,b) = 1, show that gcd(ac,b) = gcd(c,b)

Homework Equations

gcd(x,y) = xm + yn for integers n and m

The Attempt at a Solution

ax + by = 1
gcd(ac,b) = d
gcd(c,b) = g

ac = dr
b = ds
c = gm
b = gn

I've been setting up equations and rearranging things but can't make any leeway, any tips?

Update:
g|c and g|b, so g|ac and hence g|d.

d|ac and d|b. If I can show that d|c then i can conclude d|g. hence d=g. I now need help showing that d|c.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If d is gcd(ac,b) then d|ac and d|b. If d >1, then d cannot divide both a and b, so d must divide c.

1. What is the GCD (Greatest Common Divisor)?

The GCD, or Greatest Common Divisor, is the largest positive integer that divides two or more numbers without leaving a remainder.

2. How do you find the GCD of two numbers?

The most common method for finding the GCD of two numbers is to use the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number, and using the remainder as the new divisor until the remainder is equal to 0. The last divisor used is the GCD.

3. What is the relationship between GCD and relative prime numbers?

Two numbers are considered relatively prime if their GCD is 1. In other words, they have no common factors other than 1. This means that they are not divisible by any of the same numbers, making them relatively prime.

4. How do you determine if two numbers are relatively prime?

To determine if two numbers are relatively prime, you can find their GCD using the Euclidean algorithm. If the GCD is 1, then the numbers are relatively prime. If the GCD is greater than 1, then the numbers are not relatively prime.

5. Can any two numbers be relatively prime?

Yes, any two numbers can be relatively prime as long as their GCD is equal to 1. This means that they do not have any common factors other than 1, and are not divisible by any of the same numbers.