Molecules in 1 mL of 1.0x10^-22 M AsCl3: Verification and Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of molecules of AsCl3 in a solution with a concentration of 1.0x10^-22 M in 1 mL. The person asking the question has calculated the answer to be approximately 0.06 molecules, but is uncertain if this is the correct unit. The other person confirms that the calculation is correct, but explains that in reality, the number is negligible and cannot be determined accurately due to the small number of molecules and the random distribution. The starting concentration is so dilute that it would require 16.7 mL to find a single molecule of AsCl3.
jen333
Hey, just wondering if i can get some verification with my answers.
I need to find the number of molecules from a concentration that is 1.0x10^-22 M of AsCl3 in one mL.

I divided my concentration by 1000mL to get it down to a concentration per mL and multiplied by avogrado's number. My answer is 0.06. However, I'm not sure that's right as the unit should be an integer.

thoughts? i think I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jen333,

You raise an interesting question.

Your calculation is right. The answer is approximately 0.06 molecules of AsCl3. Ofcourse 0.06 molecuels cannot exist , remember you are working with approximate values here. You can safely say the number is negligible.

If in 1000 ml there are 60 molecules of AsCl3 , then if we take 1 ml of this solution there exists a number of AsCl3 molecules in solution that , statistically speaking, tends towards zero. Ofcourse this might not make sense to you , but in a problem like this , matter cannot be treated as "bulk" but individual particles must be studied. That is , the distribution of such a small number of molecules in a considerably large volume cannot be determined by taking 'average values'. In reality the presence of 0 , 1, 2 ,... or 60 molecules of AsCl3 in 1 ml solution is purely random.

your calculations look correct but it means that there is much less than 1 molecule per mL. Its the volume of 1mL that gives a number less than 1. The starting concentration is so dilute that it means you would need (1/.06) mL = 16.7 mL to find a molecule of AsCl3

[tex] C = 1*10^{-22}Mdm^{-3} [/tex] ?

Related to Molecules in 1 mL of 1.0x10^-22 M AsCl3: Verification and Calculation

1. What is the relationship between molecules and concentration?

Concentration refers to the amount of a substance present in a given volume or space. Molecules are the building blocks of matter and are present in all substances. The concentration of a substance is determined by the number of molecules in a given volume.

2. How does concentration affect the behavior of molecules?

The concentration of a substance can affect the behavior of molecules in several ways. When molecules are highly concentrated, they are more likely to collide with each other, leading to increased chemical reactions. Additionally, a higher concentration can also affect the rate of diffusion and osmosis of molecules.

3. Can concentration be changed without changing the number of molecules?

Yes, concentration can be changed without altering the number of molecules. This can be achieved through dilution, which involves adding more solvent to a solution to decrease its concentration. On the other hand, a solution can be concentrated by removing solvent through processes such as evaporation or filtration.

4. How are molecules from concentration measured and expressed?

The concentration of a substance can be measured in various units, such as molarity, molality, and parts per million (ppm). Molarity is the most commonly used unit, which measures the number of moles of a substance per liter of solution. Molality measures the number of moles of a substance per kilogram of solvent. PPM is used for very low concentrations and measures the number of molecules of a substance per million molecules of the solution.

5. What is the significance of understanding molecules from concentration in scientific research?

Understanding the relationship between molecules and concentration is essential in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmacology. It allows scientists to accurately measure and manipulate substances, study chemical reactions and processes, and develop new drugs and treatments. Additionally, understanding concentration can also help in environmental studies and pollution control.