Moment of inertia for rectangular plate

In summary, the problem is that the user does not know how to count the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate using Steiner theory. They need to sum up all the slices' distance from the axis to find the total moment of inertia. There is a mistake in their calculation, which is due to the fact that they are counting the moment of inertia along the x-axis, which is not the correct axis.
siestrand
Hi!
I've got a problem with this:
Count moment of inertia for rectangular plate a x b, if you know that moment of inertia of thin rod is [tex] \frac{1}{12}ml^2 [/tex]. Do not use integrals!, others mathematical functions required (I can proof this moment by integrals, but this is not issue). I know that I have to use Steiner theory, but how? No integrals? :(
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the plate as made of several parallel slices.

Ok, I know that, but the problem is: how can I count it without integrals? I must sum up all the slices' distance from axis, but how am I supposed to do it without integrals?

let us consider a rectangular plate to be a x b dimensions of total mass m

let x-axis be along the length direction and y be along width direction and origin be at the center of plate.
consider it to have 'n' parallel slices (n being very large number) along x direction so that each slice a like a rod of mass m/n and length 'a'
Moment of inertia of each rod along x axis, I = m(a^2)/(12n)
Moment of inertia of plate along x aixs =Ix = n I = m(a^2)/(12)
( this is because u have n slices)
similary if u repeat above exercise along y direction
Moment of inertia of plate along y aixs = Iy = m(b^2)/(12)

Moment of inertia of plate along z aixs = Iz = Ix + Iy
= m(a^2)/(12) + m(b^2)/(12)
= m( a^2 + b^2)/12

note : we haven't used any integrals..its just addition

Last edited:
There is one mistake, I think.
One slice has of course [tex] I = m(a^2)/(12n) [/tex] but not by this axis! the axis is in the centre of plate and every slice has [tex] I = m(a^2)/(12n) + \frac{m}{n} * r^2 [/tex] from Steiner theory when r ist distance from axis.

Related to Moment of inertia for rectangular plate

1. What is moment of inertia for a rectangular plate?

Moment of inertia for a rectangular plate is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia and is dependent on the mass and distribution of the material in the plate.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a rectangular plate?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular plate can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (a^2 + b^2), where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the plate, and a and b are the dimensions of the plate.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia for a rectangular plate?

The units of moment of inertia for a rectangular plate depend on the units used for mass and dimensions. Typically, the units are kg * m^2 or lb * ft^2.

4. How does the shape of a rectangular plate affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a rectangular plate affects its moment of inertia by changing the distribution of mass. A rectangular plate with more mass concentrated towards its edges will have a greater moment of inertia compared to a plate with a more uniform mass distribution.

5. How does moment of inertia for a rectangular plate relate to its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular plate is directly related to its rotational motion. A higher moment of inertia means that the plate will be more resistant to changes in rotational motion, and will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate.