Stability of rigid body rotation about different axes

In summary: Here is my reasoning I came up with after looking at the wiki article:This object has two axes whose inertias are equal. So the rotation about either of these axes is unstable. If we apply euler's equations to this question, the functions of the angles will not show periodicity and will diverge; thus it is unstable.Your reasoning is helpful. Thanks.We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy. However, for this question involving a rigid body, the most stable axis is the one with the lowest moment of inertia. Why is it so
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Below
Relevant Equations
NA
1611749917744.png

We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy. However, for this question involving a rigid body, the most stable axis is the one with the lowest moment of inertia. Why is it so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy. However, for this question involving a rigid body, the most stable axis is the one with the lowest moment of inertia. Why is it so?
I'm no expert but I don't follow what you have written. If you look-up 'tennis racket theorem' you should find it helpful.

Likes Leo Liu
Steve4Physics said:
I'm no expert but I don't follow what you have written. If you look-up 'tennis racket theorem' you should find it helpful.
Here is my reasoning I came up with after looking at the wiki article:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal. So the rotation about either of these axes is unstable. If we apply euler's equations to this question, the functions of the angles will not show periodicity and will diverge; thus it is unstable.
Your reply is helpful. Thanks.

Leo Liu said:
We know that for a non-rigid body, the most stable type of rotation of it is the rotation about the axis with the maximum momentum of inertia and thus the lowest kinetic energy.
We do? I would not have thought one could be so general about rotation of non-rigid bodies.
For rigid bodies, the max and min are both stable.
Leo Liu said:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal.
Not so.

Likes Leo Liu
Leo Liu said:
This object has two axes whose inertias are equal.
The question says the thickness is negligible. So we can treat the object as a lamina and use the perpendicular axis theorem. That should help you to establish the 3 moments of inertia are different and their relative sizes.

Likes Leo Liu
haruspex said:
We do? I would not have thought one could be so general about rotation of non-rigid bodies.
For rigid bodies, the max and min are both stable.
Well I was thinking that a non rigid body might dissipate energy through heat. But yeah what I said was too absolute.
haruspex said:
Not so.
Sorry just realized they are disks as opposed to spheres. :oops:

1. What is rigid body rotation?

Rigid body rotation refers to the movement of an object where all points of the object move in a circular path around a fixed axis, without any deformation of the object itself.

2. How does the stability of rigid body rotation differ based on the axis of rotation?

The stability of rigid body rotation depends on the axis of rotation. If the axis of rotation is through the center of mass of the object, the rotation will be stable. However, if the axis of rotation is not through the center of mass, the rotation will be unstable and the object will experience torque.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the stability of rigid body rotation?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in the stability of rigid body rotation. If the mass is evenly distributed, the rotation will be stable. However, if the mass is not evenly distributed, the rotation will be unstable and the object will experience torque.

4. What factors can cause a rigid body to experience torque during rotation?

There are several factors that can cause a rigid body to experience torque during rotation. These include the distribution of mass, the axis of rotation not passing through the center of mass, and external forces acting on the object.

5. How can the stability of rigid body rotation be improved?

The stability of rigid body rotation can be improved by adjusting the distribution of mass, ensuring the axis of rotation passes through the center of mass, and minimizing external forces acting on the object. Additionally, increasing the moment of inertia of the object can also improve stability.