Momentum and collisions homework help

In summary: To find the average force, you'll need to use Newton's second law.In summary, the question asks for the distance and average force when a 65 kg person skiing down a hill hits a snowdrift and stops in 0.30 seconds. To find the distance, the equation x=x_i+v_i t+1/2at^2 can be used with a=-50m/s^2. However, the question's assumption that the acceleration is not constant is contradictory. To find the average force, Newton's second law can be used.
Stitch1775
OP warned about not using the homework template
I need help, I've been staring at this problem for over an hour and trying to find similar problems online with no luck.

A 65 kg person is skiing down a hill. The skier's speed at the bottom is 15 m/s. If the skier hits a snowdrift and stops in .30s A)how far does the skier go into the drift? B)With what average force will he stike the drift? (his accel. is not constant)

for A would it be x=x_i+v_i t+1/2at^2 with a=-50m/s^2?
I think i can find B once I find A but a kick in the right direction would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Stitch1775 said:
I need help, I've been staring at this problem for over an hour and trying to find similar problems online with no luck.

A 65 kg person is skiing down a hill. The skier's speed at the bottom is 15 m/s. If the skier hits a snowdrift and stops in .30s A)how far does the skier go into the drift? B)With what average force will he stike the drift? (his accel. is not constant)

for A would it be x=x_i+v_i t+1/2at^2 with a=-50m/s^2?
I think i can find B once I find A but a kick in the right direction would be great
The question is flawed. It tells you the acceleration is not constant, yet to answer the first part you have to assume that it is. So, yes, you can use that equation, though it is a little more direct to use distance = time x average speed.

Likes DaveE

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures an object's tendency to keep moving in the same direction at a constant speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any energy loss.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

To calculate the momentum of an object, you need to multiply its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. What is the difference between an inelastic and elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved and there is no loss of energy.