Question about Momentum and Collisions

In summary, the question discusses a scenario where two balls of equal masses undergo an elastic collision on a pool table, resulting in final velocities of v1=18m/s [S10W] and v2= 14m/s [S30E]. The initial velocity of the first ball was w1=16m/s [S15E] and the question asks for the initial velocity of the second ball. The solution involves applying the conservation of momentum and solving for the unknown velocity components, and then equating them to find the value of Theta. However, there may be an error in the question as the term "perfectly elastic" is used, which is not a correct term in physics. The question may have meant to use
upthechelsea

Homework Statement

a)Two balls of equal masses undergo and elastic collision on a pool table. The final velocities of the two balls are v1=18m/s [S10W] and v2= 14m/s [S30E]. If the initial velocity of the first ball was w1=16m/s [S15E], what was the initial velocity of the second ball?
b) Evaluate the following statement mathematically - "The two balls underwent a perfectly elastic collision."

Homework Equations

p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I drew out all the given vectors in the questions. Initial velocities in the top half and final velocities in the bottom. Then I established reference directions. I realize that according to the conservation of momentum, the momentum will be equal initially and finally. I apply this to the x and y components of the vectors to form two separate equations. By solving for the unknown velocity component in each case, I go onto equate them, allowing me to find the value of Theta.

After that, finally, I find the speed. I am not exacly sure how to deal with the last part of the question. Can anyone help to verify my work as well as provide any suggestions to the last part? Help would be very much appreciated!
3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about conservation rules do they apply to all situations? If you can, also think of collisions of equal masses and what is the special feature of that problem is it applicable here. your answer and your mistake is hidden in the observations I have suggested.

I get the feeling that the question setter is not using the correct definition of "elastic collision". In the standard definition there is no distinction between "elastic" and "perfectly elastic". Both mean the mechanical energy is conserved. But in that case the conditions are overspecified and inconsistent.

If any mechanical energy is lost it is inelastic; if the maximum possible is lost (subject to momentum conservation) it is perfectly inelastic.

Or maybe it is just a typo, the questioner meant to type "inelastic".

haruspex said:
I get the feeling that the question setter is not using the correct definition of "elastic collision". In the standard definition there is no distinction between "elastic" and "perfectly elastic". Both mean the mechanical energy is conserved. But in that case the conditions are overspecified and inconsistent.

If any mechanical energy is lost it is inelastic; if the maximum possible is lost (subject to momentum conservation) it is perfectly inelastic.

True. Questioner has not given you that. The questioner wants you to find out what is it.

haruspex said:

You are partly right normally elastic means perfectly elastic. So there is some error in the statement of the problem. You can point it out by attacking the problem correctly. First apply that which is always true no matter what kind of collision it is. Then verify. It is simple. The adjective "elastic" does not need qualification in physics. The adjective "inelastic" needs further qualification of perfectly inelastic. It is obvious the collision is not perfectly inelastic.

Last edited:

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the quantity of motion an object has. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, momentum is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object that is in motion.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved before the collision will be the same as the total momentum after the collision. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without any deformation or loss of energy.

5. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision. In an inelastic collision, the objects may stick together or deform upon impact, resulting in a loss of energy.