Angular momentum commutation relations

In summary, the commutator acting on the state ##|l,m\rangle## i.e. ##\langle m, l| [l_i^2, l_j^2] |l, m \rangle = 0## vanishes.
McLaren Rulez

Homework Statement

Show that ##|l, m\rangle## for ##l=1## vanishes for the commutator ##[l_i^2, l_j^2]##.

Homework Equations

##L^2 = l_1^2 + l_2^2 + l_3^2## and ##[l_i^2,L^2]=0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to so far prove that ##[l_1^2, l_2^2] = [l_2^2, l_3^2] = [l_3^2, l_1^2]##. I know that for ##l=1##, I have ##m=-1,0,1## but I'm not really sure how to proceed from here though. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
McLaren Rulez said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##|l, m\rangle## for ##l=1## vanishes for the commutator ##[l_i^2, l_j^2]##.
What is the complete problem statement ? Or: what do you mean when you write ##|l, m\rangle## vanishes ??

BvU said:
What is the complete problem statement ? Or: what do you mean when you write ##|l, m\rangle## vanishes ??
That is the full question. I believe it means that the commutator acting on the state ##|l,m\rangle## i.e. ##\langle m, l| [l_i^2, l_j^2] |l, m \rangle = 0##. Of course ##l## and ##m## are the usual quantum numbers corresponding to ##L^2## and ##l_3##

Ah, clear. Sorry to have pulled you off the unanswred threads list :oops:

So the thing to do is work out ##\left ( l_i^2 l_j^2 - l_j^2 l_i^2 \right ) \left | 1,m \right \rangle ## and conclude that it's zero :rolleyes:|
But you knew that already.

I tried working them out but had a hard time keeping it from getting longer and longer. Still looking for a shorter path through.

BvU said:
Ah, clear. Sorry to have pulled you off the unanswred threads list :oops:

That's okay, thank you for helping. I guess the idea is to somehow write ##l_1## and ##l_2## in terms of the ladder operators but some basic manipulations haven't really led me anywhere.

Same idea here. I'm looking at $$ \begin{align*} L_- L_+ & = L_x^2 + L_y^2 +i \left ( L_x L_y - L_y L_x \right ) \\ & = L^2 -L_z^2 -\hbar L_z \end{align*}$$which is from Ballentine (7.9) but haven't worked it towards our commutator yet.

You can prove that ##\langle l, m| [l_i^2, l_j^2] |l, m \rangle = 0## when i or j is equal to 3 in about two lines by calculating explicitly the commutator and using the fact that ##|l, m \rangle## is an eigenfunction of ##l_3##.

Combining that with
McLaren Rulez said:
I managed to so far prove that ##[l_1^2, l_2^2] = [l_2^2, l_3^2] = [l_3^2, l_1^2]##
should complete the proof.

Likes McLaren Rulez and blue_leaf77
I feel silly for not trying the obvious. Thank you Dr. Claude.

For the admiring spectators (including me :rolleyes:): can you show it ?

Likes McLaren Rulez
Of course. Let's start with the ##[l_2, l_3]## commutator

##
\begin{align*}
\langle m, l | [l_2^2, l_3^2]| l,m \rangle &= \langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2 - l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle \\
&= \langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle \\
\end{align*}
##

Utilize the fact that ##l_i## are Hermitian and the eigenvalue equation ##l_3| l,m \rangle = m| l,m \rangle##, we get
##
\begin{align*}
\langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle &= m^2(\langle m, l | l_2^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_2^2| l,m \rangle) \\
& = 0
\end{align*}
##

As for the commutator result, we have
##
\begin{align*}
[l_1^2, l_2^2] &= [l_1^2, L^2 - l_1^2 - l_3^2] \\
&= -[l_1^2, l_3^2] \\
& = [l_3^2, l_1^2],
\end{align*}
##
where we use that any component of angular momentum commutes with the total angular momentum. A similar proof can be done for the ##[l_2^2, l_3^2]## commutator.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but it appears that this is true for all ##|l,m\rangle##, not just the specific case of ##l=1##.

Last edited:
Likes BvU and DrClaude
McLaren Rulez said:
Also, correct me if I am wrong but it appears that this is true for all ##|l,m\rangle##, not just the specific case of ##l=1##.
You indeed never need to make use of that. I wonder if this is a red herring or if the the person who wrote the question had another proof in mind, involving ladder operators (where square ladder operators only need to involve two states, ##|l, l\rangle## and ##|l, -l\rangle##).

Likes McLaren Rulez
McLaren Rulez said:

Homework Statement

Maybe this means to show that ##[l_i^2, l_j^2] \, |l, m\rangle = 0## for ## l = 1##.

You might consider using the matrix representation of the angular momentum operators for ##l = 1##.
http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node247.html

What is angular momentum commutation relation?

Angular momentum commutation relation is a mathematical relationship that describes how two different components of angular momentum (such as position and momentum) interact with each other. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.

Why are angular momentum commutation relations important?

Angular momentum commutation relations are important because they help us understand the quantum mechanical properties of particles. They provide a mathematical framework for predicting the behavior of particles and are essential for developing theories and models in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

How are angular momentum commutation relations derived?

Angular momentum commutation relations are derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, namely the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the commutator relations. These principles are based on the idea that certain physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with absolute precision.

What is the physical significance of angular momentum commutation relations?

The physical significance of angular momentum commutation relations lies in their ability to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. They provide a way to understand the relationship between different components of angular momentum and how they affect the overall behavior of a particle.

How do angular momentum commutation relations impact our understanding of the physical world?

Angular momentum commutation relations have a profound impact on our understanding of the physical world. They are essential for developing theories and models in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics, and have led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in these fields. They also provide a fundamental understanding of how particles behave and interact with each other, leading to a deeper understanding of the laws of nature.