Momentum density in a Divergent Beam

In summary, the direction of the momentum density of the E-field should be parallel to the Poynting vector. However, there are two competing theories about the direction of the momentum density. According to the first theory, the momentum density should be parallel to the Poynting vector and since the beam is diverging, it is propagating energy outwards along some combination of the r and z axes. The second theory states that the momentum density should follow the wavevector and the phase of the expression does not depend on the cylindrical radial coordinate r, so the wavevector should be pointing exclusively along the z-axis. It is possible that this is a case where the usual rule about momentum density, Poynting vector, and wave
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For a divergent paraxial field like $$E = E_0 e^{-\frac{r^{2}}{w(z)^{2}}} e^{-i(kz - tan^{-1}(\frac{z}{z_{0}}))}$$

What is the direction of the momentum density of the E-field. I have two competing feelings about it. 1) The momentum density should be parallel to the Poynting vector, and since the beam is diverging it is propagating energy outwards along some combination of the r and z axes. 2) the momentum density should follow the wavevector, and the phase of the above expression does not depend on the cylindrical radial coordinate r at all, so the wavevector should be pointing exclusively along the z-axis. Is this maybe a case where the usual rule about momentum density, poynting vector and wavevector all being parallel is faulty?

Physics news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
The momentum density should be parallel to the Poynting vector
Yes, since the momentum density ##p## is related to the Poynting vector ##\mathbf{S}## by
$$p=\epsilon\mu\mathbf{S}$$.

Likes Twigg
Twigg said:
the momentum density should follow the wavevector, and the phase of the above expression does not depend on the cylindrical radial coordinate r at all, so the wavevector should be pointing exclusively along the z-axis.
Calculate the ##\mathbf{H}## field corresponding to your ##\mathbf{E}## field. Then calculate the Poynting vector
$$\mathbf{S}=\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{H}$$.

Likes Twigg
Appreciate the help NFuller. I got the Poynting vector for the field, and sure enough it has non-axial components that vanish at r=0, which makes a lot of sense. I have a followup question. Does this mean that an atom moving in a red-detuned convergent beam will feel a transverse confining force that depending on the atom's transverse velocity? My logic for this is that if the momentum density direction varies in space, then the wavevector of the photons should also vary in space, and so the atom should have a transverse Doppler shift, leading to transverse cooling. Am I on the right track?

1. What is momentum density in a divergent beam?

Momentum density in a divergent beam refers to the distribution of momentum across a beam of particles that are diverging or spreading apart. It is a measure of the amount of momentum per unit volume in a given region of the beam.

2. How is momentum density in a divergent beam calculated?

Momentum density in a divergent beam can be calculated by dividing the total momentum of the beam by the volume it occupies. This can be expressed mathematically as ρ = p/V, where ρ is the momentum density, p is the total momentum, and V is the volume.

3. What factors affect the momentum density in a divergent beam?

The momentum density in a divergent beam is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the particles in the beam, the angle of divergence, and the size and shape of the beam.

4. Why is momentum density important in understanding a divergent beam?

Momentum density is important in understanding a divergent beam because it provides information about the distribution and flow of momentum in the beam. This can help scientists analyze the behavior of the particles and make predictions about their interactions with other objects.

5. How can momentum density in a divergent beam be manipulated?

Momentum density in a divergent beam can be manipulated by changing the properties of the particles, such as their mass or velocity, or by altering the shape and size of the beam. This can be achieved through various techniques, such as using magnetic fields or collimating the beam.