Momentum Eigenstate: Meaning of <psi|p|psi>, etc.

In summary, the conversation discusses the translation of mathematical expressions involving Dirac notation, specifically the expressions <psi | p | psi>, <psi | p^2 | psi>, and <psi | x | psi>. There is also a mention of the mean value of x and its equation. The conversation includes confusion and questions regarding the use and interpretation of Dirac notation.
imagemania

Homework Statement

I am trying to translate what is meant by:
<psi | p | psi>
<psi|p^2|psi>
<psi | x | psi>
In a mathematicaly context as shown by this link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110521103632AASz9Hm

Can anyone specify what these mean?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi imagemania! :smile:

<| denotes a row vector

|| denotes a matrix

|> denotes a column vector :wink:

Ok, but I am still not following how he got one for the first question:
<psi | p | psi> = 0

for the integral:
[tex]\psi = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} {e}^{-\alpha {(k-{k}_{0})}^{2}}{e}^{ikx} dk[/tex]

Thanks

not following you …

ψ is as given, and p is the momentum operator :confused:

Perhaps i'll ignore that post and go back to the fundamental question. From my understanding,
[tex]\bar{p}=\frac{hk}{2 \pi}[/tex]. Knowing [tex]\psi[/tex] is there a way to deduce a better answer to [tex]\bar{p}[/tex] or is it just as I said here?

I am also unsure about the equation for mean value of x.

It's Dirac notation. For an operator A, you can write
[tex]\langle \psi | \hat{A} | \psi \rangle = \int \psi^*(x)\hat{A}\psi(x)\,dx[/tex]
You've been given the wave function. What you need to do next is look up how to express the operators x, p, and p2 appropriately.

Related to Momentum Eigenstate: Meaning of <psi|p|psi>, etc.

1. What is a momentum eigenstate?

A momentum eigenstate is a state in quantum mechanics where a particle's momentum is well-defined, meaning that the particle has a definite momentum value with no uncertainty.

2. What is the meaning of <psi|p|psi>?

The notation <psi|p|psi> represents the expectation value of the momentum operator (p) in the state |psi>. This value gives the average momentum of a particle in the state |psi>.

3. How is the momentum operator (p) defined?

The momentum operator (p) is defined as the derivative of the position operator (x) with respect to time, i.e. p = d/dt(x). In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is represented by the letter p with a hat (^) on top, denoting that it is an operator rather than a variable.

4. Can a particle be in a momentum eigenstate and a position eigenstate at the same time?

No, according to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, it is not possible for a particle to have a well-defined momentum and position simultaneously. This means that a particle cannot be in both a momentum eigenstate and a position eigenstate at the same time.

5. How is the momentum eigenstate related to the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The momentum eigenstate is one of the possible solutions to this equation, representing a state where the particle's momentum is well-defined. This solution is obtained by solving the Schrodinger equation with the momentum operator acting on the state |psi>.