Expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy

In summary: Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation. A few of my classmates have tried out the integral by hand and gotten the same answer. I'm just really lazy.
TheBigDig
1. The problem statement
Consider a particle of mass m under the action of the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential. The Hamiltonian is given by
[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{m \omega ^2 x^2}{2} [/tex]
Knowing that the ground state of the particle at a certain instant is described by the wave function
[tex] \psi(x) = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^\frac{1}{4} e^{-\frac{m \omega x^2}{2 \hbar}} [/tex]
calculate (for the ground state)
a) the mean value of the position <x>
b) the mean value of the position squared <x2>
c) the mean value of the momentum <p>
d) the mean value of the momentum squared <p2>

Homework Equations

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{m \omega ^2 x^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex] <x^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x) x^2 \psi(x) dx [/tex]
[tex] <p^2> = - \hbar ^2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x) \frac{\partial^2 \psi(x)}{\partial x^2} dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question relates to the fourth part of the question so I'll give the first three answers here.
[tex] a) <x> = 0 [/tex]
[tex] b) <x^2> = \frac{\hbar}{2m \omega} [/tex]
[tex] c) <p> = 0 [/tex]

I attempted to relate <p2> to <x2> by assuming that
[tex] H = E = E_k + V = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2 [/tex] and using the ground state energy of a harmonic oscillator:
[tex] E = \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega [/tex]
I then took the expectation value of both sides
[tex] <E> = \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega = \frac{1}{2m} <p^2> + \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 <x^2> [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega = \frac{1}{2m}<p^2>+\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 \frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega = \frac{1}{2m}<p^2> + \frac{1}{4}\hbar \omega [/tex]
[tex] <p^2> = \frac{1}{2} m \omega \hbar [/tex]

I'm just not sure if I'm correct in my assumptions. Can I assume H = E in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigDig said:
Can I assume H = E in this situation?
No you cannot. H is an operator, E is an energy (scalar). However, you can assume that the expectation value <H> = E1 because ##\psi(x)## is the ground eigenfunction.

kuruman said:
No you cannot. H is an operator, E is an energy (scalar). However, you can assume that the expectation value <H> = E1 because ##\psi(x)## is the ground eigenfunction.

So then my answer is correct, I just made the wrong assumption?

Last edited:
TheBigDig said:
So then my answer is correct, I just made the wrong assumption?

Yes, that's a neat shortcut and better than calculating ##\langle p^2 \rangle## by hand.

PeroK said:
Yes, that's a neat shortcut and better than calculating ##\langle p^2 \rangle## by hand.
Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation. A few of my classmates have tried out the integral by hand and gotten the same answer. I'm just really lazy.

1. What is the expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy?

The expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy is a calculation used in quantum mechanics to determine the average momentum of a particle in its lowest energy state.

2. How is the expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy calculated?

The calculation involves finding the wave function of the particle in its ground state, and then using the momentum operator to determine the average momentum. This is expressed as Δp = - p, where Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, is the expectation value of mean momentum, and p is the actual momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy?

The expectation value of mean momentum provides a way to predict the most likely momentum of a particle in its ground state, which is useful in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can the expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy ever be negative?

No, the expectation value of mean momentum cannot be negative as it is a measure of the average momentum of a particle, and momentum is always a positive quantity.

5. How does the expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The expectation value of mean momentum from ground state energy is one way to quantify this uncertainty in momentum.