Momentum Operator In Curved Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the momentum operator in different contexts, including special relativity and curved spacetime. It is noted that the commutators of the covariant derivatives are not equal to the Riemann Tensor, indicating that a different approach is needed. It is suggested that path-integral quantization may be a more fruitful approach for developing quantum mechanics in curved spacetime. The book "Path Integrals in Quantum Mechanics, Statistics, Polymer Physics, and Financial Markets" by Kleiner is recommended as a source for understanding this method.
Physicist97
Hello, I'm sorry if this question sounds silly, but in QM the Momentum Operator is ##{\hat{p}}=-i{\hbar}{\nabla}## . In Relativistic QM in Flat Space, this operator can be written ##{\hat{P}_{\mu}}=-i{\hbar}{\partial}_{\mu}## . Would it be correct, then, to say that in curved spacetime the momentum operator would be ##{\hat{P}_{\mu}}=-i{\hbar}{\nabla}_{\mu}## ? Here ##{\nabla}## represents the gradient, ##{\partial}_{\mu}## is the Four-Gradient, while ##{\nabla}_{\mu}## is the covariant derivative. Again, sorry if this is a naïve question and please correct me if I am mistaken in my line of thinking :) .

Physics news on Phys.org
One immediate problem with trying to set ##\hat{P}_\mu = -i \hbar \nabla_\mu## is that ##[ \hat{P}_\mu, \hat{P}_\nu] \neq 0## (it's actually related to the Riemann tensor). For special relativistic systems one can still do quantum mechanics with momentum and position operators and special relativistic wave equations, but for quantum physics in a classical curved spacetime, one generally needs to study full quantum field theory.

Likes bhobba
Yes, but isn't the commutators of the covariant derivatives equal to ##R^{\rho}_{\sigma\mu\nu}V^{\sigma}-S^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu}{\nabla}_{\lambda}V^{\rho}## . It is only equal to the Riemann Tensor when the torsion ( ##S^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu}## ) is zero.

Sure, if you add torsion, it is even more complicated. But the point was that that operator will not satisfy canonical commutation relations. It's not a proof that it cannot work, but it is a hint that something different is probably required.

A more fruitful place to start would probably be with the action for a test particle on a curved spacetime. Then one could use path-integral quantization to develop the quantum mechanics. It should be possible to derive the curved-space version of the Klein-Gordon equation, for example.

I've never heard of path-integral quantization. Do you know of any site or book that could explain it, in a mathematical way?

Physicist97 said:
I've never heard of path-integral quantization. Do you know of any site or book that could explain it, in a mathematical way?

Kleinert has a book that he seems to have mostly online at http://users.physik.fu-berlin.de/~kleinert/b5/ I've only just looked at Ch 10 which is on curved space, so I don't know how accessible the early chapters are.

1. What is the momentum operator in curved spacetime?

The momentum operator in curved spacetime is a mathematical quantity that describes the motion and momentum of a particle in a curved space. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime, which can be caused by massive objects such as planets or stars.

2. How is the momentum operator different in curved spacetime compared to flat spacetime?

The momentum operator in curved spacetime takes into account the effects of gravity, which can cause a curved path for a particle. In flat spacetime, the momentum operator follows the laws of classical mechanics, where momentum is conserved and particles move in straight lines unless acted upon by a force.

3. How does the momentum operator in curved spacetime relate to the theory of relativity?

The momentum operator in curved spacetime is a key component of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It helps to describe how particles move and interact in the presence of massive objects, which cause spacetime to curve.

4. Can the momentum operator in curved spacetime be used to explain the motion of celestial bodies?

Yes, the momentum operator in curved spacetime is essential in understanding the motion of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our universe. It helps to predict and explain the orbits and trajectories of these objects in the presence of massive bodies like the Sun.

5. How is the momentum operator in curved spacetime applied in practical situations?

The momentum operator in curved spacetime has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space travel. It is used to calculate the trajectories of spacecraft in orbit around planets, and it helps to explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.