Momentum problem -- Forces on a human cannonball in a circus

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the equation P=Fnet x t for determining the acceleration of a cannonball. It is noted that the force is assumed to be constant, and equations of motion for constant acceleration are mentioned. The conversation also discusses the use of the 'suvat' equations to calculate the length of the barrel when the initial velocity, acceleration, and time are known. Finally, the concept of impulse is mentioned, with an example of an impulse of 4.0x103 Ns for 0.35 s being compared to driving a car.
meso
Homework Statement
3. Human cannonballs have been a part of circuses for years. A human cannonball with a mass of 70 kg experiences an impulse of 4.0x103 Ns for 0.35 s.
a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

b) How long was the barrel of the cannon? (Assume the force is applied only for the period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)
I sloved part a but I am stuck at b
Relevant Equations
p=mv
FnetΔt=Δp

P Total in= P Total fin

m1v1 Intial + m2v2intial= M1v1 final + m2v2 final
elastic collsion
P in= P final
P=Fnet x t that is what I used for a

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the acceleration of the cannonball? I think it's assumed the force is constant (which is perhaps slightly unrealistic...), in which case what are the equations of motion for constant acceleration?

etotheipi said:
What's the acceleration of the cannonball? I think it's assumed the force is constant (which is perhaps slightly unrealistic...), in which case what are the equations of motion for constant acceleration?
No acceleration provided. I do not know the equation for constant acceleration.

meso said:
No acceleration provided.

You have the force from (a), and you know the mass. How then might we work out the acceleration?
meso said:
I do not know the equation for constant acceleration.

Try searching for the 'suvat' equations. You should be able to find one which let's you calculate the length of the barrel when know the initial velocity, acceleration and time (which you do!).

"an impulse of 4.0x103 Ns for 0.35 s."

That's a curious way to describe it. It's like saying a car is driven 50km for one hour.
You can have a force (here assumed constant) acting for a period, or an impulse spread over a period,

Likes etotheipi

Related to Momentum problem -- Forces on a human cannonball in a circus

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to forces on a human cannonball?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In the case of a human cannonball, the momentum of the person is important because it determines the amount of force they will experience when they are launched from the cannon.

2. How is the force on a human cannonball calculated?

The force on a human cannonball is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In the case of a human cannonball, the acceleration is caused by the force of the cannon launching them, and their mass is the weight of their body. The greater the mass and acceleration, the greater the force experienced by the human cannonball.

3. What other factors besides momentum and force affect a human cannonball's flight?

Other factors that can affect a human cannonball's flight include air resistance, the angle and height of the cannon, and the weight and position of the person in the cannon. These factors can impact the trajectory and distance of the human cannonball's flight.

4. How do safety measures protect human cannonballs from excessive forces?

Safety measures such as padding, helmets, and safety nets are used to protect human cannonballs from excessive forces. These measures help to absorb some of the impact and reduce the risk of injury. Additionally, human cannonballs undergo extensive training and use specialized equipment to ensure their safety during performances.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with being a human cannonball?

Yes, being a human cannonball carries a high risk of injury or even death. The forces experienced during launch and landing can be extreme and can lead to serious injuries if proper safety measures are not in place. Additionally, human cannonballs must have a strong understanding of physics and undergo rigorous training to ensure their safety during performances.