Moon Illusion to Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse

In summary, a partial lunar eclipse occurred in the central US on Saturday morning, creating a stunning optical illusion that made the moon appear bigger than normal. This coincided with the full moon of June and was announced by NASA.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yay, I'm in central US.

A partial lunar eclipse set to occur early Saturday should look particularly stunning to observers in parts of North America thanks to an optical illusion that will make the moon look bigger than normal.

The moon will pass through part of Earth's shadow, temporarily becoming dark, starting at 6:17 a.m. EDT (1017 GMT) Saturday morning. That cosmic line-up coincides with the full moon of June and a so-called "moon illusion" that, weather permitting, should offer quite a show, according to a NASA announcement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100625/sc_space/moonillusiontosupersizesaturdaylunareclipse

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Yay, I'm in central US.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100625/sc_space/moonillusiontosupersizesaturdaylunareclipse

Thanks for telling me that I missed it. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, why would you post this Saturday afternoon?

Now we're all just depressed. :frown:

So did you see it?

BobG said:
Really, why would you post this Saturday afternoon?

Now we're all just depressed. :frown:

So did you see it?
oops, Saturday morning, not Saturday night. Who has a lunar eclipse in the morning?

I find this upcoming lunar eclipse and the accompanying moon illusion to be a fascinating phenomenon. The moon illusion, where the moon appears larger when it is near the horizon, is an optical illusion that has puzzled scientists for centuries. It is caused by a combination of factors, including the moon's position in the sky, our brain's perception of size, and the surrounding objects that serve as reference points.

This particular lunar eclipse, occurring during the full moon of June, will provide a unique opportunity for observers in the central US to witness this illusion in action. The moon will pass through Earth's shadow, temporarily darkening its surface, while also appearing larger due to its position in the sky.

It is important to note that while the moon may appear larger, it is not physically changing in size. This illusion is a result of our brain's interpretation of visual cues and does not reflect any actual changes in the moon's size.

I encourage people to take advantage of this rare event and observe the moon illusion during the lunar eclipse. It is a great opportunity to appreciate and better understand how our brains process visual information. Enjoy the show!

What is the Moon Illusion?

The Moon Illusion is a visual phenomenon where the Moon appears larger when it is near the horizon compared to when it is higher in the sky.

What causes the Moon Illusion?

The exact cause of the Moon Illusion is still debated among scientists. Some theories suggest that it is an optical illusion created by the brain, while others propose that it is due to the atmospheric refraction and the Moon's position relative to the horizon.

What is a Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse?

A Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse is a rare event where a full moon coincides with the Moon being at its closest point to Earth, resulting in a larger and brighter appearance of the Moon.

When will the next Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse occur?

The next Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse is predicted to occur on September 18th, 2021. However, this is subject to change as the exact timing and intensity of the event can vary.

Can we predict the occurrence of Moon Illusion and Supersize Saturday Lunar Eclipse?

While we can calculate and predict the timing of these events, their exact occurrence and intensity can be influenced by various factors such as atmospheric conditions and the Moon's position. Therefore, it is not always possible to accurately predict these phenomena.