Most effective way to cause hyperthrophy in a muscle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best types of exercises from a scientific and molecular point of view, specifically focusing on movements that could potentially cause muscle tearing. The question of whether a certain amount of weight is necessary to see progress is also brought up, with the recommendation to consult a gym or verified expert for accurate information. It is advised to not rely on gym regulars for exercise advice, and instead seek out athletes, athletic coaches, bodybuilders, and exercise physiologists. A specific book, "The Lore of Running" is mentioned as a good resource for exercise physiology.
kolleamm
There's many articles online about the best types of exercises etc... but I want to look at it from a scientific/molecular point of view. What sort of movements would increase the chances of a muscle tearing (microscopically)?

Is there a threshold for the amount of weight you have to lift in order to see any progress?
For example would 100 reps with 1lb be as effective as 50 reps with 2lb?

Thanks in advance

Biology news on Phys.org
Rather than damage yourself or waste a lot of effort, please go to a gym or find a verified expert on the internet.
This forum is not the best possible choice. AFAIK there are no exercise physiology majors here.

Don't accept adhoc half gluteus maximus answers. From here or anywhere else. (I used the anatomical term for the muscle you sit on. PF software "edits" other more mundane terms.)

Just because someone is a gym regular does not make that person an expert. So beware.

jim mcnamara said:
Rather than damage yourself or waste a lot of effort, please go to a gym or find a verified expert on the internet.
This forum is not the best possible choice. AFAIK there are no exercise physiology majors here.

Don't accept adhoc half gluteus maximus answers. From here or anywhere else. (I used the anatomical term for the muscle you sit on. PF software "edits" other more mundane terms.)

Just because someone is a gym regular does not make that person an expert. So beware.
I figured since there's a lot of engineering experts here they could give me some insight into how a component is best put under stress.

A good place to start is The Lore of Running, 4th Edition, by Dr. Tim Noakes. It has 944 pages of exercise physiology goodness, plus another 100 pages or so of bibliography. The bibliography is online, not in the book. The index is not very good, so you will need to read the entire book while taking notes. Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0873229592/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

kolleamm said:
I figured since there's a lot of engineering experts here
Better to ask athletes, athletic coaches, bodybuilders, and exercise physiologists. Especially exercise physiologists. There's a good running forum at: https://runningahead.com/forums. They could probably point you to an exercise physiologist.

And don't ask me. While I read the book, not much of it registered, so I just go out and run. Thirteen marathons as of last October.

• Love
Likes Astronuc and berkeman

1. What is muscle hypertrophy?

Muscle hypertrophy is the process of increasing the size and strength of muscle fibers through resistance training and proper nutrition.

2. What is the most effective way to cause muscle hypertrophy?

The most effective way to cause muscle hypertrophy is by consistently performing resistance training exercises with progressive overload. This means gradually increasing the weight, reps, or sets over time to challenge the muscles and stimulate growth.

3. How often should I train a muscle group for hypertrophy?

For optimal muscle hypertrophy, it is recommended to train each muscle group 2-3 times per week with at least 48 hours of rest in between sessions.

4. Is nutrition important for muscle hypertrophy?

Yes, proper nutrition is crucial for muscle hypertrophy. Consuming enough protein and calories is necessary for muscle growth and repair. It is also important to have a balanced diet with a variety of nutrients to support overall health and recovery.

5. How long does it take to see results from muscle hypertrophy?

The time it takes to see results from muscle hypertrophy varies for each individual. Factors such as genetics, training intensity, and nutrition can all impact the rate of muscle growth. On average, it may take 8-12 weeks of consistent training and proper nutrition to see noticeable changes in muscle size and strength.