Motherboard specs - capacity for M1 SSDs?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacity
In summary, M.2 is a newer interface that can be used for SSDs and is a different form factor than traditional PCIe. The AsRock B450 M Pro motherboard supports 4 SATA3 drives, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4) drive, and 1 M.2 (SATA3) drive. It also has 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, and 1 PCIe 2.0 x1 slots. It is possible to replace a SATA SSD on an older motherboard with an adapter in a PCIe slot and a different type of SSD, but the gains and compatibility will depend on various factors. In general, using an M
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
What language in a motherboard's specifications reveals how many sold state hard drives it can support that use the "M1" interface. Is there now an "M2" interface?
What language in a motherboard's specifications reveals how many sold state hard drives it can support that use the "M1" interface. Is there now an "M2" interface?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't understand whether it's possible to read the PCI-e spec and determine from that how many, if any, M2 SSDs would be supported. From videos, it appears that M2 SSDs are mounted so the chip is "flat" (lying parallel to the motherboard) instead of perpendicular to it. So the physical orientations of the PCI-e slots are important.

(In particular, I'm considering the AsRock B450 M Pro motherboard. )

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't understand whether it's possible to read the PCI-e spec and determine from that how many, if any, M2 SSDs would be supported.

From videos, it appears that M2 SSDs are mounted so the chip is "flat" (lying parallel to the motherboard) instead of perpendicular to it. So the physical orientations of the PCI-e slots are important.
M.2 is a completely different form factor to 'traditional' PCIe, it doesn't matter which way round the card is lying (although it is true that M.2 cards are usually screwed down flat to the MoBo or parent card). When a MoBo spec says PCIe it is talking about slots for putting video cars, sound cards etc. in (or even RAID controllers, which could take M.2 SSDs), and when it says M.2 it is talking about slots for non-volatile mass storage (this is true in 2020 - it may change with wider use of M.2 in future).

Note it is M.2 pronounced "M dot two", not M2.
Stephen Tashi said:
(In particular, I'm considering the AsRock B450 M Pro motherboard. )
There are a number of versions, but from the manufacturer's site for the B450M Pro4:
  • 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4), 1 M.2 (SATA3)
    So you can plug in one fast M.2 device and 1 SATA3 M.2 device (waste of time) plus 4 traditional SATA3 drives.
  • 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1
    So you can use 1 decent graphics card plus some other stuff - if you want you can plug a NVMe PCIe daughterboard (<USD20) into one of these if you can find one that will work on PCIe 2.0.
If you can afford 2 NVMe drives you should be looking at a higher spec MoBo.

Likes Stephen Tashi
Likes Stephen Tashi
sysprog said:
Many adapters, including M.2 and PCIeGen3x4, are available here: http://minerva.com.tw/

I'm curious whether it would be useful to replace a SATA SSD (plugged into a SATA port) on an older motherboard by using an adapter in a PCIe slot and some species of SSD on the adapter. For example, I have Gigabyte motherboards with printing that advertises "PCI Express 2.0" slot.

Stephen Tashi said:
I'm curious whether it would be useful to replace a SATA SSD (plugged into a SATA port) on an older motherboard by using an adapter in a PCIe slot and some species of SSD on the adapter. For example, I have Gigabyte motherboards with printing that advertises "PCI Express 2.0" slot.
I suspect that any gains, and even if it works at all, will depend on the specific adapter, MoBo, BIOS, OS and drivers. What is it that you want to happen faster?

pbuk said:
What is it that you want to happen faster?

I'm curious whether the reading and writing of files would go faster in "office productivity" type software - not in a demanding context such as computer games. But I'd be satisfied if using an SSD M.2 on a PCIe slot was no slower than using a SSD on a SATA port because the M.2 SSD could be re-used on a new machine built with a motherboard that had a dedicated interface for it.

Providing it worked, it wouldn't make any noticible difference - most of the time spent loading an office file is converting from the information stored on disk (which is basically a flat text file) to the internal storarge that makes it efficient to calculate the spreadsheet/work out how many pages there are in the document/render the presentation etc, and that is CPU/RAM speed dependent.

The potential throughput of M.2 drives is huge, these days even consumer M.2 can be several times faster than a regular SATA slot. Utter waste of money for office files I would say, it's really responce times and overwall throughput where they excel and office files are just too small to make any real difference by using an M.2 drive.

Likes Tom.G and pbuk

1. Can a motherboard with M1 SSD capacity support other types of SSDs?

It depends on the specific motherboard model. Some motherboards with M1 SSD capacity may also have slots for other types of SSDs such as M.2 or SATA. It is important to check the specifications of the motherboard to determine compatibility with other SSDs.

2. What is the maximum storage capacity that can be supported by an M1 SSD on a motherboard?

The maximum storage capacity supported by an M1 SSD on a motherboard can vary, but it is typically around 2TB. However, this may also depend on the specific motherboard model and its compatibility with different sizes of M1 SSDs.

3. Does the M1 SSD capacity on a motherboard affect overall system performance?

Since M1 SSDs are known for their fast read and write speeds, having a higher capacity M1 SSD on a motherboard can greatly improve overall system performance. This is especially true for tasks that require large amounts of data to be transferred, such as video editing or gaming.

4. Can I upgrade the M1 SSD capacity on my current motherboard?

This also depends on the specific motherboard model. Some motherboards may have the option to upgrade the M1 SSD capacity by adding additional slots or replacing the current M1 SSD with a larger one. It is best to consult the motherboard's manual or contact the manufacturer for more information.

5. Are there any compatibility issues with using an M1 SSD on a motherboard with other components?

In most cases, using an M1 SSD on a motherboard should not cause any compatibility issues with other components. However, it is important to ensure that the motherboard has the necessary slots and connections to support the M1 SSD. Additionally, it is recommended to check for any firmware updates for the motherboard to ensure optimal compatibility.