Motherboards that can transmit audio over video cables

In summary: HDMI is for audio and video. In summary, there are motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over DVI or HDMI cables to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display. Some very early motherboards did not put sound over HDMI. I would be shocked if that were true for anything modern. I'm doing that now, in fact. HDMI is practically guaranteed to work.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Are there motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over a cable to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display?
Are there motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over DVI or HDMI cables to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display? If so, what terminology is used in the specifications for such a motherboard to indicate this capability?

For example, the manual for a Samsung TV (model UN28H4000AF) says that the TV will not play audio from a computer when connected via a DVI cable. With the motherboards that I've used (Gigabyte GA-M790GP), this is true. However, it seems to me that this must be a limitation of the motherboard and not the TV itself. (Can the TV know whether the inputs on a cable are from a computer or a standalone DVD player? The TV produces sound when connected to a standalone DVD player).

Computer science news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
TL;DR Summary: Are there motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over a cable to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display?

Are there motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over DVI or HDMI cables to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display? If so, what terminology is used in the specifications for such a motherboard to indicate this capability?
When I use a TV's HDMI input connected to a PC HDMI output, it plays both the audio and video.
"While DVI connectors can only transmit video, HDMI connectors transmit both audio and video. In terms of picture quality, DVI and HDMI use the same encoding scheme for digital video signals and offer the same image quality."

Some very early motherboards did not put sound over HDMI. I would be shocked if that were true for anything modern. I'm doing that now, in fact. HDMI is practically guaranteed to work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes FactChecker
Stephen Tashi said:
Are there motherboards for desktop computers that can transmit audio over DVI or HDMI cables to a TV when the TV is used as the computer's display?
I've done that with my outdated windows 7 operating system.

Vanadium 50 said:
Some very early motherboards did not put sound over HDMI. I would be shocked if that were true for anything modern. I'm doing that now, in fact., HDMI is practically guaranteed to work.
My 6 year old Asus motherboard with windows 10 and in i7 CPU puts out sound over the HDMI cable.

Likes dlgoff
Older than that, Like Athlon XP old. Or maybe an abacus.

Motherboard video was rare, and the way the earliest HDMI signals were generated was to start with VGA & DVI and convert. They were rare even then, as it was pretty much a marketing kludge.

(Bit of history - there was a brief time when some motherboards had their own video onboard. The CPUs didn't have IGUs on them; the motherboards had their own separate VGA, Weird things happened in those days.

I would be shocked if anything modern didn't do audio. Museum pieces, I'm less sure of.

Likes dlgoff
nsaspook said:
The link notes that:
There’s one issue you need to be aware of though, computers with old graphics cards might not support this feature. Most modern GPUs should work though (at least, ones made in the last decade). For example, Geforce and Radeon’s modern cards support audio over DVI.
I suppose only motherboards with built-in graphics would have a specification about whether they transmit audio through a DVI or HDMI connector on the motherboard itself.

Stephen Tashi said:
The link notes that:

I suppose only motherboards with built-in graphics would have a specification about whether they transmit audio through a DVI or HDMI connector on the motherboard itself.
Right. I have a good sound card but I can't play through it to my TV. To get to the TV w/ the HDMI cable, I have to set the audio output to be from the motherboard, not the sound card. It's decent but not as clean as the SoundBlaster.

@Stephen Tashi what do you actually want to do? If you want to send sound and video from your PC to your TV then just connect them together with an HDMI cable and select the TV as your sound output device. This should work because audio is part of the HDMI specification. If you don't have an HDMI output on your PC and you are using a DVI to HDMI adaptor then it probably won't work because audio is not part of the DVI specification (but some hardware and software combinations do provide limited support).

The clues are in the names: High Definition Multimedia Interface is for multiple media channels, Digital Visual Interface is for the visual channel only.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman

1. How do motherboards transmit audio over video cables?

Motherboards use a technology called High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) to transmit audio over video cables. This technology allows for the transmission of both audio and video signals through a single cable.

2. Are all motherboards capable of transmitting audio over video cables?

No, not all motherboards have an HDMI port or the necessary components to transmit audio over video cables. It is important to check the specifications of a motherboard before purchasing to ensure it has this capability.

3. Can I use any video cable to transmit audio from my motherboard?

The most common video cables used for transmitting audio from a motherboard are HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI. It is important to make sure the cable you are using is compatible with your motherboard's audio output.

4. What is the advantage of using a motherboard to transmit audio over video cables?

Using a motherboard to transmit audio over video cables eliminates the need for additional audio cables, which can save space and reduce clutter. It also allows for a simpler and more streamlined setup.

5. Can I adjust the audio settings for my motherboard's audio over video cable?

Yes, you can adjust the audio settings for your motherboard's audio over video cable, just as you would with any other audio output. This includes adjusting volume, equalization, and other audio settings in your computer's operating system.