Motion along a stretching band

In summary, the problem presents an ant crawling at a constant speed of 1 foot/second along a rubber band that is being stretched at 1 foot/second. The goal is to find the time, T, at which the ant reaches the other end of the band. The solution involves using the fraction of the stretched rubber band that the ant has covered, y(t), and the equation y' = 1/(t + 2) to determine the constant and ultimately find T = 2e^-2. The reasoning behind y' being the rate of change of the fraction of the band covered is explained by considering two special cases.
desquee
This was given as a problem in a calculus textbook I'm working through (apologies if this should have gone in the physics forum)

1. Homework Statement

An ant crawls at 1foot/second along a rubber band whose
original length is 2 feet. The band is being stretched at 1
foot/second by pulling the other end. At what time T, if ever,
does the ant reach the other end?
One approach: The band's length at time t is t + 2. Let y(t)
be the fraction of that length which the ant has covered, and
explain
(a) y' = 1/(t + 2) (b)y =ln(t + 2) -ln 2 (c) T = 2e -2.

Homework Equations

∫1/x dx = ln(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Given a, I can get to b by integrating and finding the constant, and then to c by solving for y=1, but I'm stumped on how to get to explain a. y' seems to be the ant's speed over the length of the band, by I don't understand why that is so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus by Gilbert Strang? :woot: I read that one too.

y' is the rate of change of the fraction which has been traversed. Suppose the ant was not crawling: when the rubber band is being stretched, the fraction of the rubber band behind the ant would not change (because it also stretches).

Yup.

I see that y' is the rate of change of the fraction, but I'm still not sure why why it equals what it does.

Consider two special cases to try to get an intuition:

The case where the ant is not crawling (but starts out at some initial fraction y0).
The case where the rubber band is a fixed length.

What would the equation for y' be in each of these (separate) cases?

Got it, Thanks.

1. What is motion along a stretching band?

Motion along a stretching band refers to the movement of an object attached to a band or elastic material that is being stretched. The object will experience acceleration as the band stretches and pulls on it.

2. What factors affect motion along a stretching band?

The factors that affect motion along a stretching band include the tension of the band, the mass and shape of the object attached to the band, and any external forces acting on the object.

3. How does the tension of the band affect the motion?

The tension of the band directly affects the acceleration of the object. The greater the tension, the greater the acceleration of the object. This is because the tension creates a force that pulls on the object and causes it to move.

4. Can the motion along a stretching band be described by Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, the motion along a stretching band can be described by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How is motion along a stretching band used in scientific research?

Motion along a stretching band is used in scientific research to study the effects of tension on different objects. It can also be used to model real-world scenarios, such as the motion of a spring or the behavior of elastic materials. Additionally, it can be used to demonstrate and test the principles of Newton's laws of motion.