Motion of a system that has two masses and three pulleys

In summary, Homework Equations state that:-F = ma-There is a tension on the pulleys that is pulling the weights in different directions.
Mert Kerem Yavuz

Homework Statement

IMG_20190314_004844.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't draw the freebody diagram. There's this weight of mass m, which is mg, downwards from m and there's tension T to upwards. This T affects mass M in the +x direction, but how could i find out the normal force? Also, the top left pulley is moving with mass M. Is there another tension T that impacts mass M in the +x direction?
Sorry for my bad English. Hope you could understand well enough to assist.

Attachments

• IMG_20190314_004844.jpg
    IMG_20190314_004844.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20190314_004844.jpg
    IMG_20190314_004844.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

Unfortunately, PF guidelines make it impossible for us to assist (note: to assist, not to answer) unless you post your own attempt...

BvU said:
HI,

Unfortunately, PF guidelines make it impossible for us to assist (note: to assist, not to answer) unless you post your own attempt...

Hey, I edited. Could you please assist me? I kinda obsessed with that problem.

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
draw the freebody diagram
for m ? for M ? for one of the pulleys ?
Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
another tension T that impacts mass M in the +x direction?
The one rope attached to m is not pulling in the horizontal direction (which I assume is your x direction ?)

BvU said:
for m ? for M ? for one of the pulleys ?
The one rope attached to m is not pulling in the horizontal direction (which I assume is your x direction ?)
For both of the pulleys.
I actually mean the rope is pulling "M" in the direction of +x, which is right to the horizontal.

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
both of the pulleys
I see three of them :wink:, but I agree the one on the left is not very interesting.

For the others: A tension T to the left, the same tension T upward for the lower one and downward for the upper one. Since they are going nowhere, the sum of forces for each of the two must be zero -- meaning there is another force to keep them in place. Not so complicated, I would say :rolleyes:

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
I actually mean the rope is pulling "M" in the direction of +x
I thought I read an "m" there :confused:

It is. Twice.

BvU said:
I see three of them :wink:, but I agree the one on the left is not very interesting.

For the others: A tension T to the left, the same tension T upward for the lower one and downward for the upper one. Since they are going nowhere, the sum of forces for each of the two must be zero -- meaning there is another force to keep them in place. Not so complicated, I would say :rolleyes:
Hey, I miswrote. I actually want to draw free body diagram for m and M. Not for the pulleys.

:-p

Well, if there is a tension T on the pulleys pulling them to the left, then on the lefthand side the rope is pulling with a tension T to the right !

Poster has been warned to show their work in schoolwork threads
BvU said:
:-p

Well, if there is a tension T on the pulleys pulling them to the left, then on the lefthand side the rope is pulling with a tension T to the right !
I need to see the diagram, probably. With normal force and such. Because I can't see the simple explanation, unfortunately. :mad:

Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
I need to see the diagram, probably
?:) PF is not about having your work done for you: you have to do it yourself. Shoot off your proposal and solicit comments !

Likes berkeman
Mert Kerem Yavuz said:
I need to see the diagram, probably. With normal force and such. Because I can't see the simple explanation, unfortunately. :mad:
We do not draw FBDs for you. Please show more effort on this schoolwork problem of yours, or the thread will be closed. Thank you.

1. What is the concept of "motion" in this system?

The concept of motion refers to the movement of the two masses and the three pulleys in the system. This can include changes in position, speed, and direction.

2. How do the masses and pulleys interact in this system?

The masses and pulleys in this system interact through the tension in the ropes connecting them. As one mass moves, it exerts a force on the pulley, which then transfers that force to the other mass through the rope.

3. What factors affect the motion of this system?

The motion of this system is affected by various factors, such as the masses of the objects, the length and tension of the ropes, and external forces like friction or air resistance.

4. How is the motion of each mass related to the motion of the other?

The motion of each mass is related to the motion of the other through Newton's third law of motion. This states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. As one mass moves, it exerts a force on the other mass, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the motion of this system?

Understanding the motion of this system can have various practical applications, such as in engineering and design of machinery, calculating the forces and stresses on structures, and predicting the movement of objects in situations involving pulleys and ropes.