Motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity

In summary: So, the stability of a circular orbit cannot be determined just by looking at a particular differential equation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
A particle moves in a plane under the action of a force
which is always perpendicular to the particle's velocity and depends
on a distance to a certain point on the plane as 1/r^n, where n is a
constant. At what value of n will the motion of the particle along
the circle be steady?
Relevant Equations
All below.
I think i could deal with this problem interpreting this force like a central force, what seems pretty nice to me, since in a circular orbit the force will always pass through the center, if it is perpendicular to the velocity.
I thought, since the force is central and in this case, spherically symmetric, so is conservative, and has potential energy.
The next, is just a simple problem...
I found n < 3
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "steady", do you mean in stable equilibrium?

If so, yes ##n = 2## is stable and ##n = 3## is unstable. I've never looked at ##n = 1##. What did you get for that?

PeroK said:
By "steady", do you mean in stable equilibrium?

If so, yes ##n = 2## is stable and ##n = 3## is unstable. I've never looked at ##n = 1##. What did you get for that?
I interpreted steady like stable equilibrium.
I found the effective potential
1591201642833.png

The derivative of this need to be zero, and, the second derivative of this, positive.
So we find n < 3

But looking again, i see that if f = -k/r, the potential will not be
1591201769041.png

So n < 3, n different of one, n need to be two?

This is not a motion in the central field by the way
It is not said that the force is directed to the point; it is just said that the force is perpendicular to the velocity

Likes PeroK
I can't remember where I heard this, but I recall that in an ##n## dimensional universe, gravity obeys the law ##F \propto r^{-(n-1)}##. It's funny to think that if the universe happened to have more than 3 spatial dimensions, things wouldn't turn out too great...

Also if you want another way of doing it aside from the effective potential construction, you can also consider that if the orbit is to be stable at ##r_0## then you should obtain SHM under a small perturbation ##\epsilon## (i.e. consider a change of coordinates to ##\epsilon = r-r_0##).

wrobel said:
This is not a motion in the central field by the way
It is not said that the force is directed to the point; it is just said that the force is perpendicular to the velocity
... but then refers to "motion ... along the circle".
LCSphysicist said:
So n < 3, n different of one, n need to be two?
Is it ok to assume n is an integer?

haruspex said:
but then refers to "motion ... along the circle".
but to study stability it is not enough to have only particular solution, one must consider the whole differential equation in a neighborhood of the solution

wrobel said:
but to study stability it is not enough to have only particular solution, one must consider the whole differential equation in a neighborhood of the solution
My reading of the OP's posts is that he/she shows that a circular orbit is stable for n=2 but not for other integral values. I read your post #4 as saying the orbit which is to be assessed for stability should not be assumed to be circular.

haruspex said:
I read your post #4 as saying the orbit which is to be assessed for stability should not be assumed to be circular.
I did not say that described above problem does not possesses a circular orbit. I said that this problem is not the problem about a motion in the central field.

The same circular orbit can be produced by different differential equations and it can be stable as a solution to the first differential equation and be unstable as a solution to the other differential equation

1. What is motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity?

Motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity is a type of motion in which an object experiences a force that is perpendicular to its velocity. This means that the force is acting at a 90 degree angle to the direction of motion. This type of motion is also known as circular motion, as the object follows a circular path.

2. What causes an object to experience motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity?

An object experiences motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity when it is moving in a circular path or when it is being acted upon by a centripetal force. This force can be caused by a variety of factors, such as gravity, tension, or friction.

3. What is the difference between motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity and motion under a force parallel to the velocity?

The main difference between these two types of motion is the direction of the force. In motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity, the force is acting at a 90 degree angle to the direction of motion, while in motion under a force parallel to the velocity, the force is acting in the same direction as the velocity.

4. How does the magnitude of the force affect motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity?

The magnitude of the force has a direct impact on the speed and direction of the object in motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity. A larger force will result in a greater change in speed and direction, while a smaller force will result in a smaller change.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity?

Some real-life examples of motion under a force perpendicular to the velocity include a car turning around a curve, a satellite orbiting around a planet, and a ball spinning on the end of a string. Roller coasters, Ferris wheels, and merry-go-rounds also demonstrate this type of motion.