Motor Oil: Pure Substance or Mixture?

In summary, according to Mobil, motor oil is a blend of various compounds, including petroleum-based hydrocarbons, that makes it a solution.
Another
i wonder if the motor oil a pure substance or mixture substance

i know water are pure substance and i think motor oil same water

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What sources have you consulted before asking the question?

This is not a well defined question because there are many different types of oils (motor oil, cooking oil, mineral oil, etc.) and the answer will depend on what type you're talking about.

Borek said:
What sources have you consulted before asking the question?
No. i just wonder

Ygggdrasil said:
This is not a well defined question because there are many different types of oils (motor oil, cooking oil, mineral oil, etc.) and the answer will depend on what type you're talking about.
am sorry. I mean motor oil

Start with Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
Motor oil, engine oil, or engine lubricant is any of various substances comprising base oils enhanced with additives, particularly antiwear additive plus detergents, dispersants and, for multi-grade oils viscosity index improvers. In addition to that, almost all lubricating oils contain corrosion (GB: rust) and oxidation inhibitors.
Wikipedia said:
Motor oils today are blended using base oils composed of petroleum-based hydrocarbons, that means organic compounds consisting of carbon and hydrogen, or polyalphaolefins (PAO) or their mixtures in various proportions, sometimes with up to 20% by weight of esters for better dissolution of additives.
Does that sound like a pure substance or a mixture?

Another said:
No. i just wonder

Start with your own research. Always. Make it a habit.

Likes Bystander, russ_watters and berkeman
Another said:

i know water are pure substance and i think motor oil same water
Blend, or a solution. "Mixture"? Maybe. Motor oil is not just one compound collected as a liquid mass. MORE than one single compound collected as a liquid mass.

Another said:
Just read the advertisements... What do you think now? :smile:

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super

upload_2018-8-29_12-59-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_12-59-47.png
    upload_2018-8-29_12-59-47.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 418

1. Is motor oil a pure substance or a mixture?

Motor oil is considered a mixture. It is made up of a base oil, which is a pure substance, and additives, which are mixed in to enhance its performance.

2. What is the purpose of additives in motor oil?

Additives are added to motor oil to improve its properties such as viscosity, lubrication, and protection against wear and tear. Different additives are used for different purposes, and their combination creates a specific formula for a particular type of motor oil.

3. Can motor oil be separated into its components?

Yes, motor oil can be separated into its components through a process called fractionation. This involves heating the oil to different temperatures, causing the different components to vaporize at different rates. The vapors can then be condensed and collected separately.

4. What are the main components of motor oil?

The main components of motor oil are base oils and additives. Base oils are typically made from crude oil and are refined to remove impurities. Additives include detergents, dispersants, anti-wear agents, and viscosity improvers.

5. Does the composition of motor oil vary between different brands?

Yes, the composition of motor oil can vary between different brands. Each brand has its own unique formula and combination of additives, which can affect the performance and quality of the oil. It is important to choose a reputable brand and check the recommended type of oil for your specific vehicle.