Mousetrap car won't roll on ground but will when being held

In summary, the person is having trouble getting their mousetrap car to roll. They are not sure what the problem may be, but they would like some advice.
Shannia Petit-Homme
I have made multiple mousetrap cars, and they've all have the same problem. They all have rolled when I held them however when I would put them on the ground they would not go. I think the problem may be a friction problem, however I'm not sure. I don't know what to do. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be friction but it could also be the design. The length of the lever, the diameter of the shaft (that the string is wound on) and the diameter of the wheels all affect the gearing. The gearing affects how well the mouse trap spring can overcome friction in the wheel bearings and small bumps on the ground.

Try reducing friction on the bearings, then try either smaller diameter wheels or a shorter lever arm or larger diameter shaft. These will increase the torque at the wheels making it easier to get going, but at the expense of reducing the distance it will go.

Shannia Petit-Homme said:
mousetrap cars,
well that's something I have (in 60 years) never seen or heard of before !

When I was a kid we made them from cotton reels.

Likes davenn
CWatters said:
When I was a kid we made them from cotton reels.
Vaguely remember doing something with a cotton reel and a twisted up rubber band through the middle :smile:

Likes CWatters
That's it. One end of the band was fixed to the reel, the other end went through a short length of wax candle with a hole through it to a popsicle stick.

Likes davenn
This question sounded very cruel. I had never heard the term before either. But there are clearly a lot of mousetrap car fans out there. Doc Fizzix is one. Now I see how it gets the name.
changing-gearing-m3.jpg

How to build: here.

Attachments

• changing-gearing-m3.jpg
    changing-gearing-m3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,595
Shannia Petit-Homme said:
may be a friction problem,
Or a rolling resistance problem.

There are different designs. Please post a diagram, or a very good description, of yours.

1. Why won't my mousetrap car roll on the ground?

There could be several reasons why your mousetrap car won't roll on the ground. It could be due to the weight distribution being off, the wheels not being aligned properly, or the surface of the ground being too rough for the wheels to gain traction.

2. How can I fix the weight distribution on my mousetrap car?

To fix the weight distribution, you may need to add or remove weights on your car. The ideal weight distribution for a mousetrap car is to have more weight towards the back to provide more traction for the wheels.

3. What should I do if my mousetrap car's wheels are not aligned properly?

If your wheels are not aligned properly, you can adjust them by using a ruler or straight edge to make sure they are parallel to each other. This will help your car roll smoothly on the ground.

4. Can the surface of the ground affect my mousetrap car's performance?

Yes, the surface of the ground can greatly affect your mousetrap car's performance. If the ground is too rough or uneven, it can cause your car to lose traction and not roll properly. It is best to test your car on a smooth and flat surface.

5. Why does my mousetrap car roll when I hold it, but not on the ground?

When you hold your mousetrap car, you are providing a stable and smooth surface for the wheels to roll on. However, on the ground, there may be bumps or obstacles that can hinder the car's performance. Make sure the surface is smooth and free of any obstacles for the best results.