MPhys vs Bachelor's Degree - UK Education System

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bachelors
In summary, the person is considering pursuing a Masters in Physics after completing their Bachelor's degree. They are concerned that some may not consider the MPhys equivalent to holding both a Bachelor's and an MSc. They are glad to have found someone else who has gone through this process and can offer advice.
BOAS
Hello,

this is a question that is specifically about the UK educational system, but maybe there are some parallels with the US.

I am currently studying physics at university (and loving it) at the Bachelor's level. I know my goals may shift as I go through my degree but right now I think i'd love to pursue further education ie a masters and hopefully a Phd.

I have the opportunity to switch to the MPhys course which requires an extra year and research project + (potentially) the chance to spend a summer attached to one of the research groups at my university.

This all sounds great to me but i am concerned that getting a Bsc then an Msc is the more traditional route and that some may not consider the MPhys equivalent to holding both. When the question of who wants to join the MPhys arises formally, I will of course speak to my academic advisor, but i'd be really grateful if there was anyone here that could share their experiences.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

I am currently in the 4th year of a physics MSci (Essentially the same as MPhys) so hopefully I can help. In my experience MSci/MPhys are equally well received in PhD applications as an
MSc in the uk. The minimum requirement by research councils in the uk is 2.1 BSc. The only trouble you may find is if you want to go to Europe where a separate MSc is the norm and these last 2 years. Also if you want to go to America for PhD you will have to do a masters when you start grad school at any rate.

Financially for me the MSci/MPhys is a no brainer. You get full funding plus a student loan. For an MSc you'll have to find money for the course fees and money to live on yourself. There are scholarships and bursaries available but nothing guaranteed. I don't know you but I wouldn't be able to pluck £15k-£20k out of thin air.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.

I think that I would rather finish my education in the UK and I presume that if you have achieved a Phd, whether you had a Masters or an MPhys to get there is immaterial. I should think the work you did and skills you gained that were sufficient for you to achieve a Phd are what counts. Working abroad after this sounds incredibly interesting.

I'm glad you brought up the issue of funding as I haven't given it much thought yet. But like you, I can't just rustle up the money to pay for a degree, I have to take a loan. You've given me something to think about.

Thanks.

What is the difference between an MPhys and a Bachelor's degree in the UK education system?

An MPhys (Master of Physics) degree is a postgraduate degree that typically takes four years to complete, while a Bachelor's degree is an undergraduate degree that typically takes three years to complete. Additionally, an MPhys degree allows for a more specialized and in-depth study of physics compared to a Bachelor's degree.

Which degree is more beneficial for a career in the field of physics?

Both an MPhys and a Bachelor's degree can lead to a successful career in physics. However, an MPhys degree may provide more opportunities for advanced research and specialized roles in the field.

Can I pursue a Master's degree with a Bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree after completing a Bachelor's degree. However, some Master's programs may require specific prerequisites or a minimum grade point average in order to be accepted.

Is there a significant difference in job opportunities between the two degrees?

The job opportunities for individuals with an MPhys degree may vary compared to those with a Bachelor's degree. Generally, an MPhys degree may open up more opportunities in research and development, while a Bachelor's degree may lead to entry-level positions in various industries.

Which degree is more expensive to pursue?

In the UK education system, an MPhys degree is typically more expensive than a Bachelor's degree. This is because an MPhys degree is a postgraduate degree and may require an additional year of tuition fees.