Starting a bachelors degree at 23 (should I be worried?)

In summary, the individual had to drop out of college due to financial problems and only completed their A-levels last year. They hope to join a university in 2022 and earn a degree in mechanical engineering at the age of 27. They were concerned about potential disadvantages in securing a job, but were reassured that their age could actually be an advantage due to their mature judgement. Others also shared their own experiences of starting college at a later age and achieving success. Overall, age should not be a barrier to pursuing higher education and career goals.
hadi jaffri
so guys, I had to drop out of college due to financial problems and could could not really complete higher secondary school education(Alevels) until last year. I passed with decent grades(A*,A,A) I hope to join a university in the fall of 2022 and earn a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering but by that time I will be 23. Just wanted to ask will I be at any disadvantage in securing a job considering I will graduate at age 27. I would really appreciate a response :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you shouldn't have any difficulty securing an engineering job at 27. Things might be a little different if you were pushing 40, but you're in your 20's. You'll be fine.

Likes Delta2 and Hamiltonian
appreciate the reply buddy :)

Being a little older than most classmates can actually be an advantage. Mature judgement counts in education and engineering work. Take the lead during school projects, employers could tap you for senior positions.

• Love
Likes Math100, Drakkith and hadi jaffri
Thankyou for the reply sir!

Likes Klystron
I think its possible. It just takes determination and realistic goals.

I stopped my formal education in the 9th grade. Received my GED at 21 and enrolled cc at 22. Now, I have a BS in Mathematics, and will be attending graduate school in the fall.

• Love
Likes Math100, CalcNerd, Mondayman and 5 others
I started college in 2019 when I was 24 and I am still in college. Age is just a number. Don't let that discourage you from pursuing higher education.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, MathematicalPhysicist, hadi jaffri and 2 others

1. Should I be worried about starting a bachelors degree at 23?

No, there is no need to worry about starting a bachelors degree at 23. Many people choose to pursue higher education at different stages in their lives and it is never too late to start. What matters most is your determination and dedication to your studies.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to younger students?

Not necessarily. While younger students may have more energy and fewer responsibilities, older students often bring valuable life experiences and maturity to their studies. Additionally, many universities offer support and resources specifically for non-traditional students.

3. Will it take longer to complete my degree?

It depends on your individual circumstances and the program you choose. Some universities offer accelerated programs for older students, while others may allow you to transfer credits from previous education or work experience. It is important to discuss your academic plan with an advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. How will I balance my studies with other responsibilities?

Balancing responsibilities is a common challenge for all students, regardless of age. It is important to prioritize your time and establish a schedule that works for you. Utilizing resources such as time-management techniques, study groups, and support from family and friends can also help you manage your workload.

5. Will I still be able to have a social life?

Yes, it is possible to have a social life while pursuing a degree at 23. While you may have more responsibilities, it is important to make time for activities and relationships outside of your studies. This can also help alleviate stress and improve your overall well-being. Remember, balance is key.