Mult Variate Calc: Proof for N(t) vector

In summary, the equations for calculating the velocity and acceleration of a particle are:$$\vec{T}(t) = \frac{\vec{v}(t)}{v(t)}$$$$\vec{N}(t) = \frac{\vec{T}'(t)}{|\vec{T}'(t)|}$$$$v(t) = \vec{v} - \vec{a}_{v\perp}$$
opus
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Part (d):
Use parts (a), (b), and (c) to argue that $$\vec{N}(t) = \frac{\vec{a}_{v\perp}}{|\vec{a}_{v\perp}|}$$
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{d}{dt}(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}) = 2\vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}$$
$$\frac{d}{dt}v(t) = \frac{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a}}{v(t)}$$
$$v(t)\vec{T'}(t) = \vec{a}(t) - \frac{v'(t)\vec{v'}(t)}{v(t)}$$
I need to prove this using the given equations.
$$\vec{N}(t) = \frac{\vec{a}_{v\perp}}{|\vec{a}_{v\perp}|}$$

Here is the entirety of my work up to this point. So far I've wanted to use what I have to find something that is perpendicular to the velocity vector and maybe show that with the dot product but no luck so far and I'm pretty stuck. Any hints to get me started?
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 9.51.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 9.51.40 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be easier to help with this if some context is provided. Presumably ##t## is time and ##\vec a(t),\vec v(t)## are the acceleration and velocity of a particle, but what do ##\vec T(t), \vec N(t),\vec a_{v\bot}## and the scalar ##v(t)## represent?

Ok so ##\vec{T}(t)##, ##\vec{N}(t)##, and ##\vec{a}_{v\perp}## arent ever mentioned in any previous problem for this homework, but in the text they are given as:

##\vec{T}(t) = \frac{\vec{v}(t)}{v(t)}## so a unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector.

##\vec{N}(t) = \frac{\vec{T}'(t)}{|\vec{T}'(t)|}## which I'm a little unclear on but I think its a unit vector perpendicular to the plane created by the velocity and acceleration vectors.

##v(t)## is just the speed or magnitude of the velocity vector ##\vec{v}(t)##.

And I THINK ##\vec{a}_{v\perp}## is a vector perpendicular to the velocity and acceleration vectors but the homework nor the book goes over this.

opus said:
Ok so ##\vec{T}(t)##, ##\vec{N}(t)##, and ##\vec{a}_{v\perp}## arent ever mentioned in any previous problem for this homework, but in the text they are given as:

##\vec{T}(t) = \frac{\vec{v}(t)}{v(t)}## so a unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector.
AKA the unit tangent vector, thus the name T.
opus said:
##\vec{N}(t) = \frac{\vec{T}'(t)}{|\vec{T}'(t)|}## which I'm a little unclear on but I think its a unit vector perpendicular to the plane created by the velocity and acceleration vectors.
The unit normal vector, thus the name N. The N vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane at a particular point. The acceleration could be in the same direction as the velocity vector, so it (acceleration) doesn't necessarily define a normal vector.
opus said:
##v(t)## is just the speed or magnitude of the velocity vector ##\vec{v}(t)##.

And I THINK ##\vec{a}_{v\perp}## is a vector perpendicular to the velocity and acceleration vectors but the homework nor the book goes over this.
Maybe or maybe not, as the acceleration and velocity could be in the same direction.

Thanks Mark that is more clear! Going to keep plugging at this to see what I can get

opus said:
And I THINK →av⊥a→v⊥\vec{a}_{v\perp} is a vector perpendicular to the velocity and acceleration vectors but the homework nor the book goes over this.
It is the component of acceleration orthogonal to the velocity. In other words, the acceleration minus any component aceleration has in the velocity direction.

It seems like it may be a setup for the Frenet-Serret frames for space curves? Any chance they are mentioned on this or upcoming chapters ( maybe check the index?)?

You may notice from it's definition that ##\vec{N}## is in the direction of ##\vec{T'}##. So you just have to figure out the magnitude of ##\vec{T'}## and combine it with the third formula you derived.

So analyze the third formula. Notice that ##\vec{a}_{v\perp}## is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to velocity, as Orodruin pointed out. So this component is just full acceleration minus the component of acceleration that is tangential to velocity(usually called tangential acceleration).

Now tangential acceleration has magnitude ##v'(t)##, because it is the component that actually varies the magnitude of velocity, while the perpendicular component changes its direction. So we have that:
$$\vec{a}_{v\perp} = \vec{a} - \vec{a}_{v}$$
$$\vec{a}_{v} = v'(t)\vec{T}(t)$$
in your notation.
Compare this to the formulas you have, and the solution should be pretty obvious.

1. What is Multivariate Calculus?

Multivariate Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It involves the application of differentiation and integration to functions that have more than one independent variable.

2. What is the proof for N(t) vector in Multivariate Calculus?

The proof for N(t) vector is a mathematical demonstration that shows the existence and properties of a vector function N(t) in Multivariate Calculus. It typically involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus and other calculus techniques to derive the vector function.

3. How is Multivariate Calculus used in science?

Multivariate Calculus has various applications in science, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and optimization problems.

4. What are some key concepts in Multivariate Calculus?

Some key concepts in Multivariate Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in Multivariate Calculus.

5. What are some real-life examples that use Multivariate Calculus?

Multivariate Calculus is used in various real-life examples, such as predicting stock market trends, designing bridges and buildings, analyzing weather patterns, and creating computer graphics. It is also used in medical imaging, machine learning, and data analysis.