Multimeter (VOM) Design in Electronics Engineering

In summary, this VOM has a max scale value of 1V, so when you attach a resistor, a voltage divider is created. The second point of the exercise is to find the value of voltage on the internal resistance of the voltmeter. Can you explain how this works?
nebbione

Homework Statement

The statement is this one... (from the horowitz "The Art of Elctronics")
http://www.electroyou.it/forum/download/file.php?id=13691

Homework Equations

How should I proceed, i really didn't understand how this VOM works, i mean, i understood, that there a max scale value of a VOM which in this case is 1V, so when i attach a resistor, a voltage divider is created, and I'm going to read the value of voltage on the internal resistance of my voltmeter, is this right ? And how is the second point of the exercise solved?
Can you explain me how this works? and what does it mean a VOM 50μA 20kΩ/1V ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's right for the first point to proceed like this :

Vout=Vin*(Rint/Rint+Rload)

but for the second point i have no idea...

Physics news on Phys.org
nebbione said:

Homework Statement

The statement is this one... (from the horowitz "The Art of Elctronics")
http://www.electroyou.it/forum/download/file.php?id=13691

Homework Equations

How should I proceed, i really didn't understand how this VOM works, i mean, i understood, that there a max scale value of a VOM which in this case is 1V, so when i attach a resistor, a voltage divider is created, and I'm going to read the value of voltage on the internal resistance of my voltmeter, is this right ? And how is the second point of the exercise solved?
Can you explain me how this works? and what does it mean a VOM 50μA 20kΩ/1V ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's right for the first point to proceed like this :

Vout=Vin*(Rint/Rint+Rload)

but for the second point i have no idea...

Your link is not working for me, and the website has some pretty dubious advertisements. Can you upload an image of the problem? Or sketch it yourself and upload it?

You are not authorized to view, download, or insert links to / from this site.

http://postimage.org/image/wkzxm7ro1/ sorry, here you are !

nebbione said:
http://postimage.org/image/wkzxm7ro1/ sorry, here you are !

Your second link is worse than the first. Can you just upload the image as an attachment please? The advertisements in those pages are quite risque.

here you are !

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 450
Thank you. It looks like they are defining the VOM configuration as a 50uA output test current that is monitored by an infinite input impedance voltmeter. So that's why an external 20kOhm resistance will produce a test voltage of 1V.

So I would approach these questions as having a 50uA current source (from some higher voltage) driving the loads that they mention. So for the first question, draw the circuit as a 50uA current source driving down into a 10k resistor and a 1V power supply. What voltage would you then see at the junction of the current source output terminal and the input of the 10k resistor?

And for the second question, the 50uA current source drives the mid-point of the voltage divider. What voltage would be measured between the low-side output of the current source and ground?

(TBH, I'm not sure I'm understanding this question because of the terminology issue. I'll ask for help from other HH'ers to check this.)

anyway i still didn't understand how a VOM works, can you put me a very simple and basic schematic telling me how does it works ?

Related to Multimeter (VOM) Design in Electronics Engineering

1. What is a multimeter (VOM)?

A multimeter, also known as a VOM (volt-ohm-milliammeter), is a versatile electronic measuring instrument used to measure voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits. It typically consists of a digital or analog display, probes or test leads, and a selection dial for different measurement modes.

2. What are the main components of a multimeter?

The main components of a multimeter include a display, a selection dial, test leads or probes, and internal circuitry. The display shows the measured values, the selection dial allows the user to choose the desired measurement mode, and the test leads or probes are used to make contact with the circuit being measured. The internal circuitry is responsible for converting the electrical signals into readable values on the display.

3. How does a multimeter work?

A multimeter works by using the principle of Ohm's law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. The multimeter measures the voltage and current in a circuit and uses these values to calculate the resistance, by using the formula R = V/I. The selection dial allows the user to choose the appropriate measurement mode for the type of circuit being measured.

4. What are the different types of multimeters?

There are primarily two types of multimeters: analog and digital. Analog multimeters use a needle to indicate the measured values on a scale, while digital multimeters display the values in numerical form on a screen. Within these two categories, there are also specialized multimeters for specific purposes, such as automotive multimeters for measuring car battery voltage and current.

5. What should I consider when choosing a multimeter for electronics engineering?

When choosing a multimeter for electronics engineering, you should consider the accuracy, range, and resolution of the device. The accuracy refers to how closely the measured value matches the actual value, while the range and resolution determine the smallest and largest values that the multimeter can measure. Other factors to consider include the type of measurement modes available, durability, and ease of use.