Multiplicity of Macrostates, involving dice

In summary: I don't know if it would help me, but I appreciate the effort.In summary, this student is trying to solve a math problem but is having difficulty understanding what the correct steps are. He has attempted to solve the problem using a chart and a geometrical solution, but is still having difficulty. He has been helped by another student and is appreciative.
Quiggy
I didn't really know where the proper place was for this, but this is an intro thermodynamics class and I'm really confused over this math question (it's not strictly physics-related).

Homework Statement

Consider rolling N six-sided dice. Define a microstate as the number showing on any given die, and the macrostate be the sum across all of the dice. Let n be the macrostate. Find a general formula for the multiplicity of any pair (N, n).

Homework Equations

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I know that for N oscillators in an Einstein solid and q units of energy, the multiplicity of (N, q) is (q+N-1) choose q.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a few features the formula must have. If n < N or n > 6N, it must resolve to 0. If n = N or n = 6N, then it must resolve to 1. I know it has to be symmetrical about 3.5N. I have a chart for N = 2, so I know all of the values for all pairs (2, n). I have to imagine that it's related to probabilities, so it's presumably some combination of factorials, permutations, and/or combinations.

I tried to treat it as an Einstein solid with n units of energy. Knowing that each die has to have at least 1 unit of energy, that means that the q in the formula given would actually be n-N. This didn't give me the right answer though since it allows a die to have a value of n that's greater than 6. I just am having a really tough time figuring out how to build a formula to match the constraints that I know it must have, and at this point I'm completely lost.

Thanks for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For large N I think there is a geometrical solution to this, see the attached.

Attachments

• dice039.jpg
    dice039.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 770
Sorry, I don't see how any of this is supposed to help me. I just don't understand what you're getting at.

I'm sure your professor would be more than happy to help! ;0)

-- Prof. Lyman

This problem is pretty hard and I think post #3 has the right idea. Perhaps it is easier to calculate the "volume" under the bounding surface (In N = 2, "volume" is area and "bounding surface" is a line) and then you can differentiate w.r.t. n). Your problem will be to evaluate N-dimensional volumes. I think you can use some recursion.

boltz_man said:
I'm sure your professor would be more than happy to help! ;0)

-- Prof. Lyman

Hahahaha...this is great.

What is the definition of "Multiplicity of Macrostates"?

The multiplicity of macrostates refers to the number of ways in which a system can be arranged or configured at a macroscopic level, while still maintaining the same overall energy and other thermodynamic properties. In other words, it is a measure of the number of possible macroscopic configurations that a system can have.

How is the multiplicity of macrostates related to dice?

The multiplicity of macrostates can be illustrated using the example of dice. When we roll a pair of dice, there are many possible outcomes or macrostates that can occur, such as getting a total sum of 7, or a total sum of 2. The multiplicity of macrostates in this case refers to the number of ways in which we can get a particular sum, for example, there are 6 possible ways to get a sum of 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1).

Why is the concept of multiplicity of macrostates important?

The concept of multiplicity of macrostates is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a system at a macroscopic level. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particular macrostate occurring and helps us predict the overall behavior of a system. It is also crucial in the study of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

How is entropy related to the multiplicity of macrostates?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The higher the multiplicity of macrostates, the higher the entropy of the system. This is because a higher number of possible macroscopic configurations means a higher degree of disorder or randomness in the system.

Can the multiplicity of macrostates change?

Yes, the multiplicity of macrostates can change. It can increase or decrease depending on the external factors that affect the system, such as temperature, pressure, or the addition or removal of energy. This change in multiplicity of macrostates can also result in changes in the entropy of the system.