Multivariable calculus: Length of curve

In summary: Using the substitution t = √2 sinh x leads to the integral being $$I= \int_0^{\sinh^{-1} \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}} \frac{t^2+2}{\cosh^2 t} dt$$ which is a standard integral that can be solved by using the identity ##\cosh^2 t = \frac{1}{2}(\cosh 2t + 1)## and then integrating term by term. The final answer is $$I= \frac{1}{2} \sinh t \cosh t + \frac{1}{4} \ln \left| \frac{t}{2} + \sqrt{1
Minusu

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve traced by the given vector function on the indicated interval.
r(t)=<t, tcost, tsint> ; 0<t<pi

Homework Equations

s= ∫||r'(t)||dt

The Attempt at a Solution

r'(t) = <1, -tsint + cost, tcost + sint>
s= ∫||r'(t)||dt

||r'(t)|| = sqrt(1^2+(-tsint+cost)^2+(tcost+sint)^2)
||r'(t)|| = sqrt(1+t^2sin^2t-2tsintcost+cos^2t+t^2cos^t+2tsintcost+sin^2t)
||r'(t)|| = sqrt(1 + t^2sin^2t+t^2cos^2t+sin^2t+cos^2t)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking of using the trig identity sin^2x+cos^2x= 1, but I don't think I can do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Minusu said:
||r'(t)|| = sqrt(1 + t^2sin^2t+t^2cos^2t+sin^2t+cos^2t)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking of using the trig identity sin^2x+cos^2x= 1, but I don't think I can do that.
Why not?

I'd end up with sqrt(2+t^2), but then I don't know how to integrate that from 0 to pi. At first, I tried u-substitution, so u =2+t^2, du=2tdt, du/2=tdt, but there is no tdt outside the sqrt so that I can substitute.

Minusu said:
I'd end up with sqrt(2+t^2), but then I don't know how to integrate that from 0 to pi. At first, I tried u-substitution, so u =2+t^2, du=2tdt, du/2=tdt, but there is no tdt outside the sqrt so that I can substitute.
Try integration by parts.

:S isn't what I'm doing integration by parts? Or do you mean separate it into two integrals? I don't think you can do that with a sqrt sign

Minusu said:
:S isn't what I'm doing integration by parts? Or do you mean separate it into two integrals? I don't think you can do that with a sqrt sign
No, what you did before was substitution. Your integral is $$I= \int_0^\pi \sqrt{t^2 + 2}\,dt$$ Let ##u = \sqrt{t^2+ 2}## and ##dv = dt##. With one application of integration of parts, you will get a form that appears to not be any simpler: $$t \sqrt{t^2 + 2}|_0^\pi - \int_0^\pi t \frac{t}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2}}dt$$What I thought you could then do was use integ by parts again, but this only leads to the completely trivial statement ##I= I##
I'll think over it some more - maybe a hyperbolic substitution would be useful.

Try the substitution t = √2 tan x.

CAF123 said:
Try the substitution t = √2 tan x.
I think √2 sinh x works out a little more easily.

haruspex said:
I think √2 sinh x works out a little more easily.
Yes, I agree.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts and techniques of single-variable calculus to functions with two or more variables, allowing for the analysis of complex relationships and phenomena in mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. What is the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is the distance along the curve from one point to another. In multivariable calculus, the length of a curve is calculated using a parameterization of the curve, which expresses the coordinates of the points on the curve as functions of a parameter.

3. How is the length of a curve calculated?

The length of a curve is calculated by using the arc length formula:
∫√(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 + (dz/dt)^2 dt
This formula takes into account the changing slope of the curve and calculates the length of each infinitesimal segment of the curve, which is then summed up to find the total length.

4. What is the purpose of calculating the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is an important measure in many applications, including physics, engineering, and geometry. It allows us to quantify the distance traveled along a curved path, which is useful in understanding motion, calculating work and energy, and determining optimal paths for various systems.

5. Can the length of a curve be negative?

No, the length of a curve cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance. However, the length of a curve can be zero if the curve is a straight line or if the starting and ending points are the same.