Multivariable calculus mass density question

In summary, the problem involves finding the total mass of a wire in the shape of a quarter circle with a radius of 3, starting at (-3,0) and ending at (3,0), with a mass density of u=x^2+4y. The wire is treated as a one-dimensional object, and the mass is calculated using an iterated integral with respect to polar coordinates. The final answer is 45pi/4 -12.
jamesdocherty

Homework Statement

Let the path C traverse part of the circle or radius 3 at the origin, in a clockwise direction, from (0,-3) to (3,0). Calculate the total mass of a wire in shape C, if the mass density of the wire is u=x^2+4y

Homework Equations

mass of plate equation= double integral u(x,y) dx dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the wire into polar coordinates as its a circle, with x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) and as it travels from -pi/2 to 2pi, 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi, after doing that i subbed x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) into the mass density equation (u) to obtain u=9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) and as the mass of plate equation is double integral u(x,y) dx dy I subbed the vaules into this equation but with respect to polar coordinates to get:

double integral 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dtheta dr with 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi

solving this ended up getting 135*pi/4 -36 to be the answer, but I'm a little confused as i think i worked out the mass for 3/4 of the circle, instead of the wire and am now thinking i might need to work out a ratio for area of circumference/total area of circle and multiply by this ratio to get the right answer.

Any Help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesdocherty said:

Homework Statement

Let the path C traverse part of the circle or radius 3 at the origin, in a clockwise direction, from (0,-3) to (3,0). Calculate the total mass of a wire in shape C, if the mass density of the wire is u=x^2+4y

Homework Equations

mass of plate equation= double integral u(x,y) dx dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the wire into polar coordinates as its a circle, with x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) and as it travels from -pi/2 to 2pi, 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi, after doing that i subbed x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) into the mass density equation (u) to obtain u=9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) and as the mass of plate equation is double integral u(x,y) dx dy I subbed the vaules into this equation but with respect to polar coordinates to get:

double integral 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dtheta dr with 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi

solving this ended up getting 135*pi/4 -36 to be the answer, but I'm a little confused as i think i worked out the mass for 3/4 of the circle, instead of the wire and am now thinking i might need to work out a ratio for area of circumference/total area of circle and multiply by this ratio to get the right answer.

Any Help would be much appreciated!

Why are you doing a dxdy integral? Isn't a wire a one-dimensional object?

i'm not sure to be honest i thought it would be a two-dimensional object as it would have both a x and y direction but i am probably wrong, if it is a one dimensional object, how would i go about solving this problem?, would it just be x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and hence you would get the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, thanks for the fast reply :)

Ray Vickson said:
Why are you doing a dxdy integral? Isn't a wire a one-dimensional object?
I haven't done any work on the problem, but the density is given as a function of x and y, and the wire follows a curved path (a quarter circle), so an iterated integral seems reasonable to me.

jamesdocherty said:
i'm not sure to be honest i thought it would be a two-dimensional object as it would have both a x and y direction but i am probably wrong, if it is a one dimensional object, how would i go about solving this problem?, would it just be x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and hence you would get the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, thanks for the fast reply :)

My interpretation is that the wire is "infinitely thin", so is just a curved line in 2 dimensions. For that reason you need two coordinates ##(x,y)## to specify a point on the wire. The "density" ##\rho(x,y)## would then be the mass per unit length at the point ##(x,y)##; that is, the mass ##\Delta m## of a little bit of wire of length ##\Delta s## located at ##(x,y)## would be ##\Delta m = \rho(x,y) \Delta s##. But that is just my interpretation.

Ray Vickson said:
My interpretation is that the wire is "infinitely thin", so is just a curved line in 2 dimensions. For that reason you need two coordinates ##(x,y)## to specify a point on the wire. The "density" ##\rho(x,y)## would then be the mass per unit length at the point ##(x,y)##; that is, the mass ##\Delta m## of a little bit of wire of length ##\Delta s## located at ##(x,y)## would be ##\Delta m = \rho(x,y) \Delta s##. But that is just my interpretation.

That would also be my interpretation. Otherwise I would have expected the problem to ask for the mass of a "plate" and for the boundary of the plate to be a closed curve.

yeah that makes sense, thanks for that, because of that i would only need to integrate once then and hence got x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and then the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, would this be correct or would i need to do something else?

And, just in case anyone is still confused about 1 dimensional or 2 dimensional object, remember that even though the wire exists in 3 dimensions, it only takes one parameter to locate a point on it. That's why you use ##\vec r(t)=\langle x(t),y(t),z(t)\rangle## to describe it. Same for a surface. It exists in 3 dimensional space but you only need two parameters to describe it, so you use ##\vec r(u,v)##.

jamesdocherty said:
yeah that makes sense, thanks for that, because of that i would only need to integrate once then and hence got x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and then the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, would this be correct or would i need to do something else?

It looks wrong. You should show your work in detail, because I cannot figure out how you got your answer.

jamesdocherty said:
would it just be x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and hence you would get the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, thanks for the fast reply :)

It looks like that would be the right integral, but the bounds for theta might be incorrect. From your initial problem, you wrote "Clockwise," which would indicate a negative change in theta, from 3*pi/2 to 0.

The integral is not quite correct.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It involves the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals in multiple dimensions.

2. How is multivariable calculus used in calculating mass density?

Multivariable calculus is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object, which is then divided by its mass to calculate its mass density. This involves using multiple integrals and the concept of density being the ratio of mass to volume.

3. What is the relationship between mass density and multivariable calculus?

The relationship between mass density and multivariable calculus lies in the fact that multivariable calculus is used to calculate the volume of an object, which is then divided by its mass to determine its density. Without multivariable calculus, it would be challenging to accurately calculate mass density.

4. How does the number of variables affect the calculation of mass density using multivariable calculus?

The number of variables affects the calculation of mass density as it determines the number of dimensions in which the object is being analyzed. For example, a two-dimensional object would require a double integral, while a three-dimensional object would require a triple integral. The more variables involved, the more complex the calculation becomes.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using multivariable calculus to calculate mass density?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of using multivariable calculus to calculate mass density. Some examples include determining the density of various materials in construction and engineering projects, analyzing the density of fluids in fluid dynamics, and predicting the density of materials in geological studies.