Multivariable epsilon delta proofs

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a function as the variables approach zero. The conversation involves manipulating the function and using the ε-δ definition to try to find a suitable δ in terms of ε. The goal is to simplify the function to the point where the relationship between the variables is less than ε. However, the conversation participants struggle with understanding the goal and how to manipulate the function to reach it.
oreosama

Homework Statement

lim (x,y) -> (0,0) xy/sqrt(x^2+y^2) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

my understanding of my actual goal here is kind of poor

given ε>0 there exist ∂>0 s.t. 0 < sqrt(x^2 + y^2) < ∂ then 0<|f(x,y) - L| < ε

| xy/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) - 0 | < ε

(xy * sqrt(x^2 + y^2)) / (x^2 + y^2) < ε

|xy|/|(x^2 + y^2)| * sqrt(x^2 + y^2) < ε

so some number always less than one(i think?) times ∂ < ε. I can't say i know where I am going with this at all. oh god please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi oreosama! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
oreosama said:
given ε>0 there exist ∂>0 s.t. 0 < sqrt(x^2 + y^2) < ∂ then 0<|f(x,y) - L| < ε

| xy/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) - 0 | < ε …

the trouble with that is that you're leaving the xy out of it … you need to use your δ for xy also

hint: either convert to polar coordinates, or divide top and bottom by xy :wink:

(in fact, try both!)

tiny-tim said:
hi oreosama! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)the trouble with that is that you're leaving the xy out of it … you need to use your δ for xy also

hint: either convert to polar coordinates, or divide top and bottom by xy :wink:

(in fact, try both!)

all the demonstrations my professor used didnt involve polar so I've been trying to avoid using that

so,

sqrt(x2+y2)/((x2+y2)/xy)

this doesn't help much, I don't understand my goal with manipulating this stuff at all. I see (x2+y2) which maybe you could call δ2 giving you

xy/δ simplified but I still have no idea what to do with the xy or if this is the right direction at all

oreosama said:
sqrt(x2+y2)/((x2+y2)/xy)

= δ/√((x/y)2 + (y/x)2) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
= δ/√((x/y)2 + (y/x)2) :wink:

δ/√((x2/y2 + y2/x2))

δ/√((x4+y4)/(x2y2))

experimenting with throwing the x2y2 in the radical was a nice adventure but once again i don't see what I can do :confused:

oreosama said:
δ/√((x2/y2 + y2/x2))

won't either x/y or y/x have to be ≥ 1 ? :smile:

I see why that is, but don't know how to apply the information.

tiny-tim said:
won't either x/y or y/x have to be ≥ 1 ? :smile:
Shouldn't those be x2/y2 , y2/x2, or have absolute values, since x/y and y/x could be negative?

Switching to polars here would not be useful, dividing by xy would be more work than needed.

Use the fact that |x| ≤ (x2 + y2)1/2 and |y| ≤ (x2 + y2)1/2

Now what do you see happening?

as with the last one, I can see that it's a true statement but don't know what I can do about it.

oreosama said:
as with the last one, I can see that it's a true statement but don't know what I can do about it.

Using what I said :

|x||y| ≤ x2 + y2

So how would you continue your chain of inequalities.

EDIT : In fact, using this information we can create as small of a neighborhood as we want because |x||y| ≤ a(x2 + y2) where a[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ

√(|x||y|) ≤ √(x2 + y2) would give me a term to replace with δ

i don't know what my goal is. shotgunning algebra manipulation until magic happens is not giving me any knowledge. what do I do?. is my goal to not have any more x and y terms? because once again I don't see them all gone..

You're probably assuming that you're looking for some δ in terms of ε, while in this case you simplify down to :

δ ≤ ε

Now, what this means is we can make the radius of δ as small as we would like as long as we don't get bigger than ε! So choosing δ = ε or δ = ε/2 or δ = ε/a with a>1 being a real number would all work. Your particular choice does not matter in this case, so you can make your radius as small as you like, but it can be no larger than ε. So δ=2ε would not work, δ=aε would not work with a>1 as before.

Do you sort of see what I'm trying to say here?

oreosama said:
δ/√((x2/y2 + y2/x2))

put δ = ε …

will that be less than ε ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
put δ = ε …

will that be less than ε ? :smile:

i don't even know what youre asking me to do

You're probably assuming that you're looking for some δ in terms of ε, while in this case you simplify down to :

δ ≤ ε

Now, what this means is we can make the radius of δ as small as we would like as long as we don't get bigger than ε! So choosing δ = ε or δ = ε/2 or δ = ε/a with a>1 being a real number would all work. Your particular choice does not matter in this case, so you can make your radius as small as you like, but it can be no larger than ε. So δ=2ε would not work, δ=aε would not work with a>1 as before.

Do you sort of see what I'm trying to say here?

im expecting at some point to simplify down to something like that yes. it seems like once the manipulation gets to the point where you have to infer that a relationship between the variables is less than something i break down. never seen it used before and I still don't know how to break these things down.

oreosama said:
i don't even know what youre asking me to do

im expecting at some point to simplify down to something like that yes. it seems like once the manipulation gets to the point where you have to infer that a relationship between the variables is less than something i break down. never seen it used before and I still don't know how to break these things down.

Usually what you want to try and do is to get the term |f(x,y) - L| into the form 0 < |x-a|,|y-b| < δ and then find your δ in terms of ε.

These take lots of practice to know when to apply the triangle inequality, or to know how big or small something can be. Practice, practice and more practice and eventually these will become second nature.

1. What is a multivariable epsilon delta proof?

A multivariable epsilon delta proof is a method used in calculus to rigorously prove the limit of a function with multiple variables. It involves using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, where the goal is to show that for any arbitrarily small value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that ensures the function's output will be within epsilon of the desired limit.

2. Why are multivariable epsilon delta proofs important?

Multivariable epsilon delta proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and precise way to prove the existence and value of a limit for a function with multiple variables. This is crucial for understanding and applying concepts in calculus, as well as in many other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the key steps in a multivariable epsilon delta proof?

The key steps in a multivariable epsilon delta proof include setting up the definition of a limit using the epsilon-delta notation, finding a suitable expression for delta in terms of epsilon and the variables in the function, and using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to show that the desired limit is indeed satisfied for all values of epsilon.

4. What are some common challenges in multivariable epsilon delta proofs?

Some common challenges in multivariable epsilon delta proofs include selecting the appropriate expression for delta, manipulating algebraic equations involving multiple variables, and ensuring that the proof is logically sound and free of any assumptions.

5. How can one improve at solving multivariable epsilon delta proofs?

The best way to improve at solving multivariable epsilon delta proofs is to practice regularly and become familiar with the key concepts and techniques involved. It is also helpful to break down the proof into smaller, manageable steps and to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor when needed.