Multivariate piecewise fxn continuity and partial derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and solution attempt involving the definition of a function and its continuity in R^2. The solution attempt includes an epsilon-delta proof and the computation of f_t(x,t). The conversation also mentions defining g(t) as the integral of f(x,t) from -1 to 1 and shows that g(t) = t for |t|<1/4. However, there is confusion around the computation of f_t(x,0) and the conceptualization of g(t) due to the piecewise nature of the function.
vchurchill
1. Problem

Define a function:

for t>=0, f(x,t) = { x for 0 <= x <= sqrt(t), -x + 2sqrt(t) for sqrt(t) <= x <= 2sqrt(t), 0 elsewhere}

for t<0 f(x,t) = - f(x,|t|)

Show that f is continuous in R^2. Show that f_t (x, 0) = 0 for all x.

Then define g(t) = integral[f(x,t)dx] from -1 to 1. Show g(t) = t for |t|<1/4, and hence g'(0) != integral[f(x,0)dx] from -1 to 1.

2. Solution attempt

For the first part, I used an epsilon-delta proof:

For all epsilon > 0 there exists 0<delta=epsilon/3 s.t. |x-x0|<eps/3 implies |f(x)-f(x0)|<eps. Checking for both important pieces of f, this works.

Then I computed f_t(x,t) = { 1/sqrt(t) for sqrt(t) <= x <= 2sqrt(t), and 0 elsewhere}. I do not understand how f_t(x,0) then is equal to 0 for all x since it would seem that for x = 0 we have f_t(0,0) = 1/sqrt(0) = ??

Then the last part... the piecewise-ness of this fxn makes it extremely difficult to conceptualize and get a general g(t), so I'm guessing I should double integrate over -1/4 to 1/4 for t and -1 to 1 for x. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2015-3-11_14-37-58.png

1. What is a multivariate piecewise function?

A multivariate piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined using different equations for different parts of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules or formulas depending on the value of the independent variables.

2. What is continuity for a multivariate piecewise function?

In order for a multivariate piecewise function to be considered continuous, it must have a single, unbroken graph without any jumps or breaks. This means that the limit of the function at any given point must exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. How do you determine the continuity of a multivariate piecewise function?

To determine the continuity of a multivariate piecewise function, you must first check if the function is defined for all values of the independent variables. Then, you must check that the limit of the function exists and is equal to the value of the function at each point. If these conditions are met, then the function is considered continuous.

4. What is a partial derivative for a multivariate piecewise function?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the rate of change of a multivariate piecewise function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding the others constant. This is useful for understanding how a function changes in different directions.

5. How do you calculate partial derivatives for a multivariate piecewise function?

To calculate partial derivatives for a multivariate piecewise function, you must first determine which variable you are differentiating with respect to. Then, you can use the standard rules for finding derivatives, such as the power rule or product rule, for each piece of the function separately. Finally, you can combine these derivatives to find the partial derivative for the entire function.