Muscle tension required to lift a child at a constant speed

In summary, the mother lifts the child with her foot at a constant speed by applying a torque of 2250 Newtons to the muscle above the knee.
annanause

Homework Statement

When a mother lifts he child with her foot (as shown in figure) what force should the upper muscle exert to lift her child at a constant speed?
24e163d.jpg

Homework Equations

W = F x D
f = mg

I think these might be the right equations to use, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I need to add up the forces and distances shown in the figure? If I did W would be:
W = (0.2m + 0.38m)(39N + 98N)
W = 0.58 x 137 = 79.46Nm

Do I need to convert kg into N?

f = mg
f = 137N x 9.80 m/s
f = 1342.6

Is this at all in the right tracks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is not needed here. This is a levers problem. You need to convert the forces to torques and sum them.

Likes Mastermind01
I

russ_watters said:
Work is not needed here. This is a levers problem. You need to convert the forces to torques and sum them.

I gave it a shot and got an answer that is 45Nm, can the force of the muscle be written in Nm?

annanause said:
I gave it a shot and got an answer that is 45Nm, can the force of the muscle be written in Nm?
No, the force has to be in N (Newtons).
I think your answer of 45 Nm is the correct torque that the muscle has to provide, but it is not the force. You have to calculate the force from that torque.

annanause said:
No, force is in Newtons. Newton-meters is probably a torque... By my math, you calculated the torque applied to lift the leg and the baby. So you aren't done yet: the question asked for the force applied by the muscle above the knee.

You can take the problem in steps that way, but generally the physicists here (and probably your professor too) would prefer you write the torque-sum equation and then solve for the force you are looking for. Then plug in the numbers and compute in one step.

russ_watters said:
No, force is in Newtons. Newton-meters is probably a torque... By my math, you calculated the torque applied to lift the leg and the baby. So you aren't done yet: the question asked for the force applied by the muscle above the knee.

You can take the problem in steps that way, but generally the physicists here (and probably your professor too) would prefer you write the torque-sum equation and then solve for the force you are looking for. Then plug in the numbers and compute in one step.
So I can do F = t/D ?
I tried to do 45Nm / 0.02m = 2250 N

Is there any more work than that needed?

I think that's right.

annanause said:
So I can do F = t/D ?
I tried to do 45Nm / 0.02m = 2250 N

Is there any more work than that needed?
That looks like the right answer to me!

TomHart said:
I think that's right.

russ_watters said:
That looks like the right answer to me!

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Likes TomHart

1. How does the force of muscle tension affect the speed at which a child can be lifted?

The force of muscle tension plays a crucial role in the speed at which a child can be lifted. The greater the amount of tension in the muscles, the faster the child can be lifted, as more force is exerted on the child's body.

2. Is there a specific amount of muscle tension required to lift a child at a constant speed?

The amount of muscle tension required to lift a child at a constant speed can vary depending on factors such as the weight of the child and the strength of the lifter's muscles. However, in general, a moderate amount of muscle tension is needed to lift a child at a steady pace.

3. How does muscle tension affect the energy expenditure when lifting a child?

Muscle tension directly affects the amount of energy expended when lifting a child. The more tension in the muscles, the more energy is required to overcome the resistance and lift the child.

4. Can muscle tension be increased to lift a child at a faster speed?

Yes, muscle tension can be increased through strength training and proper body mechanics. By increasing muscle tension, a person can lift a child at a faster speed, as more force is applied to the child's body.

5. What are some ways to minimize muscle tension while lifting a child?

Proper lifting techniques, such as bending at the knees instead of the back, can help to minimize muscle tension while lifting a child. Additionally, maintaining a healthy level of physical fitness and strength can also help to reduce muscle tension during lifting tasks.