Mutual inductance in a circuit.

In summary, mutual inductance is a measure of the interaction between two nearby circuits, where a changing current in one circuit induces a voltage in the other. It is calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2) and its unit is henry (H). Mutual inductance can cause unexpected behavior in circuits and can be controlled or reduced by adjusting the distance, using shielding materials, or designing circuits with low mutual inductance in mind.
anthonych414

Homework Statement

Derive TEC between terminals "ab".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I'd add the mutual inductances to the inductors, and solve it as a normal RLC circuit, since no current is passing through the 80j coil, it's inductance wouldn't change. The 50j coil becomes an 80j coil (50j + 30j) and the 40j coil becomes a 70j coil (40j + 30j). Setting the voltage source to zero yields a thevenin resistance of -60 + 60j and KVL yields to a Thevenin voltage of 9 + 41j volts. However the answer says Rth = 60 + 60j and Vth = 9 + 51j. Can anyone help me identify where I went wrong? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• pf1.png
    pf1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anthonych414 said:

Homework Statement

Derive TEC between terminals "ab".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I'd add the mutual inductances to the inductors, and solve it as a normal RLC circuit, since no current is passing through the 80j coil, it's inductance wouldn't change. The 50j coil becomes an 80j coil (50j + 30j) and the 40j coil becomes a 70j coil (40j + 30j). Setting the voltage source to zero yields a thevenin resistance of -60 + 60j and KVL yields to a Thevenin voltage of 9 + 41j volts. However the answer says Rth = 60 + 60j and Vth = 9 + 51j. Can anyone help me identify where I went wrong? Thank you in advance.
First of all you will have to explain the question. What does TEC stand for?

Where do you take into account the capacitor?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
First of all you will have to explain the question. What does TEC stand for?

Where do you take into account the capacitor?

AM

TEC stands for Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, and the capacitor does not undergo mutual inductance, so I use its phasor form to find the equivalent thevenin resistance like I would with a resistor.

1. What is mutual inductance in a circuit?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of two nearby circuits to influence each other's current and voltage. It occurs when a changing current in one circuit creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces a voltage in the other circuit.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coefficient of coupling, and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two circuits.

3. What is the unit of mutual inductance?

The unit of mutual inductance is henry (H), which is equivalent to volts per ampere (V/A).

4. How does mutual inductance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Mutual inductance can cause a circuit to exhibit unexpected behavior, such as voltage spikes or oscillations, due to the induced voltages. It can also affect the efficiency and performance of circuits, especially in high frequency applications.

5. Can mutual inductance be controlled or reduced?

Mutual inductance can be controlled or reduced by increasing the distance between the two circuits, using shielding materials, or adjusting the orientation of the circuits. It can also be minimized by using low-inductance components and designing circuits with low mutual inductance in mind.