My lost dream of being a mathematician

In summary, it would be best for you to convince your parents to allow you to pursue a career in mathematics. However, if that is impossible then it may be best for you to aim to become a mathematician at a professional level all by yourself.
TheAustrian said:
These costs in themselves go well beyond the budgets of very many people. Not a lot of people can keep 10k around just to throw it at something.
IMO from OP's tone, this is the most likely case.

Okay, yes, college can be expensive, but usually there are ways to get around it. Most people I know at my CC pay very little, as in $1000 or less a year, and many pay nothing. This can be achieved through either financial aid or academics (i.e. scholarships). I get my tuition and everything else for free due to this, and I should have enough scholarships (and some financial aid as back-up) to do the same at my four year. Then many PhD programs don't require tuition, as do many MS programs, and even professional degree programs (e.g. MD/PhDs).

I feel that, while college can be tough sometimes with regards to financials and whatnot, it is generally exaggerated, unless you are trying to go to some big prestigious school (which is fair considering the connections, the famous people around you, etc. that you get).

Though, considering this is Egypt, CCs may not exist and it may be tougher; I don't know in all honesty.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello good sir, contrary to what some fools have told you, it is possible to be a high level self taught mathematician. The Giants whose shoulders these idiots rest upon were self taught mathematicians, you cannot make new discoveries and theorems without developing a self taught methodology.

Having said that, it IS however impossible to improve and become better and better in the field of mathematics and physics if you isolate yourself or are forced into isolation from the academic community at large. So in the event that you are unable to do a degree for what ever reason, thankfully in this day and age, the internet allows communication over forums such as this forum with like minded people, a free encyclopedia like Wikipedia ( say what ever you want about it for those who distrust its content, it is still a resource for academic study available to the poor and rich alike globally, and its content is subject to public scrutiny at large, which is one of the pillars of the scientific method in general)

So basically yes, you can always self teach mathematics just as i have by choice, as Oliver Heaviside once stated " i do not refuse my supper simply because i am not hungry" so i in fact implore all physicists and mathematicians to work on their sense of "individuality" as this will collectively result in more diversity in the ideas being thought up. But never assume that because you are going along the path of being self taught that the opinions of others should not be consulted, even the greatest of thinkers will struggle at something, no one has a perfect brain. If i never needed help with anything, well, that is contradicted immediately by my registration on this forum now isn't it? ;-)

Good Luck old chap, fall in love with the scientific process, enjoy the moment you put pen to paper, and abandon any grandiose desires for notoriety as a genius of any sort, none of us will ever compare to beauty and genius of the universe we are surrounded by.

adam667 said:
hello good sir, contrary to what some fools have told you, it is possible to be a high level self taught mathematician. The Giants whose shoulders these idiots rest upon were self taught mathematicians, you cannot make new discoveries and theorems without developing a self taught methodology.
Having said that, it IS however impossible to improve and become better and better in the field of mathematics and physics if you isolate yourself or are forced into isolation from the academic community at large. So in the event that you are unable to do a degree for what ever reason, thankfully in this day and age, the internet allows communication over forums such as this forum with like minded people, a free encyclopedia like Wikipedia ( say what ever you want about it for those who distrust its content, it is still a resource for academic study available to the poor and rich alike globally, and its content is subject to public scrutiny at large, which is one of the pillars of the scientific method in general)
So basically yes, you can always self teach mathematics just as i have by choice, as Oliver Heaviside once stated " i do not refuse my supper simply because i am not hungry" so i in fact implore all physicists and mathematicians to work on their sense of "individuality" as this will collectively result in more diversity in the ideas being thought up. But never assume that because you are going along the path of being self taught that the opinions of others should not be consulted, even the greatest of thinkers will struggle at something, no one has a perfect brain. If i never needed help with anything, well, that is contradicted immediately by my registration on this forum now isn't it? ;-)
Good Luck old chap, fall in love with the scientific process, enjoy the moment you put pen to paper, and abandon any grandiose desires for notoriety as a genius of any sort, none of us will ever compare to beauty and genius of the universe we are surrounded by.
Good response overall (my only point of disagreement is that you cannot better yourself with regards to mathematics in isolation, though I'd agree collaboration likely increases your chances of improvement and the degree to which you improve), but the calling others idiots and whatnot seems as rude as it is unnecessary and useless.