How Long to Charge a 470µF Capacitor to 330V with a 3V Battery?

In summary: So, you should use that value in your calculations. In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the charging time, stored energy, and current delivered by a battery used to charge a 470µF capacitor to 330V at a rate of 10µA. The formula Q = CV was mentioned to calculate the charge, and the formula Wc = 0.5*C*V^2 was mentioned to calculate the stored energy. The conversation also addressed using the correct values, specifically the voltage value of 330V, in the calculations.
elips
A capacitor is used in the electronic flash unit of a camera. A battery with a constant voltage of 3V is used to charge the capacitor to 330V at 10µA. How long does it take to charge the capacitor when C=470µF ? What is the stored energy ? What is the current delivered by the battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi elips, you should show an attempt to solve the problem and indicate where you are getting stuck and need help.

Well, Q = CV
Q= 10*10^-6*3V
Q=30µC

i = dq/dt
t= 30*10^-6/10*10^-6 Is it true?

Wc= 0.5*C*V^2
Wc= 0.5*10*10^-6*(3^2)
Wc= 4.5 × 10-5µJ Is it true?

I'm not really sure about my answers...

elips said:
Well, Q = CV
Q= 10*10^-6*3V
Q=30µC

I thought that the capacitor was 470µF?

i = dq/dt
t= 30*10^-6/10*10^-6 Is it true?

Well, it's true that a the time required to move a charge Q with a constant current I is

t = Q/I

Wc= 0.5*C*V^2
Wc= 0.5*10*10^-6*(3^2)
Wc= 4.5 × 10-5µJ Is it true?

I'm not really sure about my answers...

You'll want to straighten out your capacitor value in your calculation.

gneill said:

Well, it's true that a the time required to move a charge Q with a constant current I is

t = Q/I

Ohh sorry, I did terrible mistakes, I'm pulling an all nighter which is a pity and I'm aware of this but any way I need to do my homework. So, I guess I'm a bit exhausted as you may notice :/ Can you help me please, sir/madame?

Your methodology is okay, you just need to use the correct values.

Capacitor: 470µF charged to 330V at a rate of 10µA

(That's a pretty small current; it'll take a looong time to charge! You might want to confirm this value with the original problem text).

gneill said:

t = Q/I

gneill said:
Your methodology is okay, you just need to use the correct values.

Capacitor: 470µF charged to 330V at a rate of 10µA

(That's a pretty small current; it'll take a looong time to charge! You might want to confirm this value with the original problem text).

The thing that confuses me is that I'm not sure which voltage value to use, 3V or 330V..? The rest is easy for me...

The problem statement says that the capacitor is charged to 330V.

1. How do you charge a capacitor?

To charge a capacitor, you need to connect it to a power source, such as a battery or a power supply. The positive terminal of the power source should be connected to the positive terminal of the capacitor, and the negative terminal of the power source should be connected to the negative terminal of the capacitor. This will allow electric charge to flow into the capacitor, storing it and creating a potential difference across the capacitor's plates.

2. How long does it take to charge a capacitor?

The time it takes to charge a capacitor depends on the capacitance of the capacitor and the amount of current flowing into it. This can range from a few milliseconds to several minutes. The equation Q=CV can be used to calculate the time it takes to charge a capacitor, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

3. Can a capacitor be overcharged?

Yes, a capacitor can be overcharged if the voltage across it exceeds its rated voltage. This can cause damage to the capacitor or even lead to explosion in extreme cases. It is important to use a power source with the appropriate voltage for the capacitor being used, and to monitor the charging process to prevent overcharging.

4. Can a capacitor store unlimited charge?

No, a capacitor has a limit to the amount of charge it can store, which is determined by its capacitance. Once the capacitor reaches its maximum charge, it cannot store any more electric charge. Attempting to charge it beyond its limit can cause damage to the capacitor.

5. How do you discharge a charged capacitor?

To discharge a capacitor, you can simply disconnect it from the power source. However, this may not completely discharge the capacitor, especially if it has a large capacitance. To fully discharge a capacitor, you can connect a resistor across its terminals. This will allow the charge to slowly dissipate through the resistor until the capacitor is fully discharged.