Mysteriously simple containment questions

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that S is a subset of S(Closure), we can show that for every element x in S, it is also in S(Closure) due to the definition of the closure. Similarly, for the second statement, (Sint)int = Sint, we can use the definition of the interior to show that it is the same set.
trap101
Prove that the set i) S[itex]\subseteq[/itex] S(Closure)
ii) (Sint)int = Sint

Ok these supposedly simple containment questions irk me every time, how simplistic do I have to unravel the darn definitions:

Attempts: i) Let x [itex]\in[/itex] S(Closure)
==> x[itex]\in[/itex]S or x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]S (Boundary of S)
==> if x[itex]\in[/itex]S the there exists a B(r,x) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] S
likewise if x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]S then there exists the
B(r,x)[itex]\cap[/itex]S ≠∅ and B(r,x)[itex]\cap[/itex]Sc≠∅

==> S[itex]\subseteq[/itex] S(Closure) I really don't see what else can be done

ii) isn't this just direct from the definition of the Sint? I mean it's the interior of an interior.

Physics news on Phys.org
i) First try to prove a simpler statement that is analogous to what you are asked to prove. For example, how would you prove that S⊆ S?

PS. This is all the help I can give here.

Related to Mysteriously simple containment questions

1. What is a mysteriously simple containment question?

A mysteriously simple containment question is a scientific question that aims to understand the underlying principles or mechanisms of a natural phenomenon in a simple and concise manner.

2. How do mysteriously simple containment questions differ from other types of scientific questions?

Mysteriously simple containment questions are unique in that they focus on understanding the essence of a phenomenon rather than gathering specific data or testing a specific hypothesis.

3. Can a mysteriously simple containment question lead to groundbreaking discoveries?

Yes, because these types of questions often challenge existing theories and push scientists to think outside the box, they can lead to unexpected and groundbreaking discoveries.

4. How can I come up with a good mysteriously simple containment question?

To come up with a good mysteriously simple containment question, start by identifying a natural phenomenon that intrigues you and then try to distill it down to its most basic and fundamental elements. Don't be afraid to think outside of traditional scientific approaches and theories.

5. Are mysteriously simple containment questions only relevant to certain fields of science?

No, mysteriously simple containment questions can be applied to any field of science. They are not limited to a specific discipline and can be used to explore a wide range of natural phenomena.